[colombiamigra] Fw: [nep-mig] 2015-04-02, 15 papers

  • From: "william mejia" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "wmejia8a@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: Colombiamigra <colombiamigra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 01:59:59 +0000 (UTC)

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Yuji Tamura <ernad@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: nep-mig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, April 12, 2015 8:04 PM
Subject: [nep-mig] 2015-04-02, 15 papers

nep-mig 2015-04-02 papers#yiv8199677819 body {font-family:verdana, arial,
univers, helvetica,
sans-serif;border-style:solid;border-width:4px;border-color:#008241;padding:4px;margin:0px;height:100%;line-height:1.3;}#yiv8199677819
.yiv8199677819h2 {font-size:2em;}#yiv8199677819 .yiv8199677819riban
{font-size:1.25em;}#yiv8199677819 #yiv8199677819edition_column
{border-right:0px;border-color:#008241;border-top-style:solid;border-top-width:4px;border-right-style:solid;border-right-width:2px;}#yiv8199677819
.yiv8199677819advert
{color:#FFFFFF;padding-left:4px;padding-top:2px;padding-bottom:2px;padding-right:2px;margin-top:4px;background-color:#008241;font-size:1.125em;font-weight:500;}#yiv8199677819
.yiv8199677819advert a:link {color:#FFFFFF;}#yiv8199677819
span.yiv8199677819paper_title {font-weight:600;}#yiv8199677819
.yiv8199677819advert a:visited {color:#FFFFFF;}#yiv8199677819
#yiv8199677819riban_left_table {width:100%;}#yiv8199677819
#yiv8199677819riban_table {width:100%;}#yiv8199677819
#yiv8199677819issue_service_name_td {text-align:right;}#yiv8199677819
#yiv8199677819snake_table {width:100%;border-spacing:0px;}#yiv8199677819
#yiv8199677819repad_cell
{border-color:#008241;border-spacing:0px;border-left-style:solid;border-left-width:2px;border-bottom-style:solid;border-bottom-width:4px;}#yiv8199677819
var {font-family:monospace;font-style:oblique;}#yiv8199677819 #yiv8199677819
.yiv8199677819report_handle {display:inline-block;width:5em;}#yiv8199677819
#yiv8199677819 .yiv8199677819year_count
{display:inline-block;width:3em;}#yiv8199677819 .yiv8199677819listhead,
#yiv8199677819 .yiv8199677819headbarlist td
{font-size:1.25em;background-color:#008241;color:#FFFFFF;}#yiv8199677819
.yiv8199677819noborder {border-width:0pt;}#yiv8199677819 h2, #yiv8199677819 h3,
#yiv8199677819 h4 {color:#008241;}#yiv8199677819 h4 em
{color:#000000;font-variant:normal;}#yiv8199677819 a:link
{color:#008241;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv8199677819 a:visited
{color:#004010;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv8199677819 a:active
{color:#000000;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv8199677819 a:hover
{color:#0000ff;}#yiv8199677819 a.yiv8199677819external:link
{color:#000000;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv8199677819
a.yiv8199677819external :visited
{color:#000000;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv8199677819
a.yiv8199677819external :active
{color:#000000;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv8199677819
a.yiv8199677819external :hover {color:#000000;}#yiv8199677819 hr
{color:#008241;background-color:#008241;height:4px;}#yiv8199677819
table.yiv8199677819headbar
{width:100%;background-color:#008241;color:#FFFFFF;}#yiv8199677819
table.yiv8199677819headbar a {color:#FFFFFF;}#yiv8199677819
td.yiv8199677819issue_paper_row_name
{width:7em;vertical-align:top;}#yiv8199677819 #yiv8199677819issue_papers_table
{margin-top:0px;margin-bottom:0px;}#yiv8199677819
table.yiv8199677819headbarlist a {color:#FFFFFF;}#yiv8199677819
#yiv8199677819validator {display:none;}#yiv8199677819 #yiv8199677819
.yiv8199677819prompt {background-color:#dddddd;}#yiv8199677819
.yiv8199677819footer
{font-size:.83em;border-top-style:solid;padding-top:4px;border-top-width:4px;border-top-color:#008241;}@media
{#yiv8199677819 table.yiv8199677819headbar
{color:black;background-color:white;}#yiv8199677819 a
{text-decoration:none;color:black;}#yiv8199677819 body
{border:0pt;}#yiv8199677819 img, #yiv8199677819 .yiv8199677819noprint
{display:none;}#yiv8199677819 .yiv8199677819silentlink
{display:none;}#yiv8199677819 p, #yiv8199677819 td, #yiv8199677819 th,
#yiv8199677819 li, #yiv8199677819 div {font-size:10pt;}}

| nep-mig | New Economics Papers |

| on Economics of Human Migration |

| Issue of 2015‒04‒02
fifteen papers chosen by
Yuji Tamura
La Trobe University
http://econpapers.repec.org/pta90
| |

- Emigrants from Great Britain: what do we know about their lives?John Jerrim
- Fertility Responses of High-Skilled Native Women to Immigrant InflowsDelia
Furtado
- Financial Education for Migrants and their FamiliesAdele Atkinson;
Flore-Anne Messy
- Cultural Biases in Migration: Estimating Non-Monetary Migration
CostsFalck, Oliver; Lameli, Alfred; Ruhose, Jens
- Insights in Economical Complexity in Spain: the hidden boost of migrants
in international tradingsElena Agliari; Adriano Barra; Andrea Galluzzi;
Francisco Requena-Silvente; Daniele Tantari
- The labor market effects of reducing the number of illegal immigrantsAndri
Chassamboulli; Giovanni Peri
- Promoting integration of immigrants. Effects of free child care on child
enrollment and parental employmentNina Drange; Kjetil Telle
- Improving the Labour Market Integration of Immigrants in BelgiumÁlvaro
Pina; Vincent Corluy; Gerlinde Verbist
- Household Migration and Child Educational Attainment: The Case of
UgandaFerrone, Lucia; Giannelli, Gianna Claudia
- Changes in the Regional Distribution of New Immigrants to CanadaHou, Feng;
Picot, Garnett; Bonikowska, Aneta
- Educational Attainment and Labor Market Performance: An Analysis of
Immigrants in FranceAkgüc, Mehtap; Ferrer, Ana
- The Winner Takes It All: Internal Migration, Education and Wages in
EthiopiaBlunch, Niels-Hugo; Laderchi, Caterina Cruggeri
- Migration Externalities in Chinese CitiesCombes, Pierre-Philippe;
Démurger, Sylvie; Li, Shi
- Immigration and Wage Dynamics: Evidence from the Mexican Peso
CrisisMonras, Joan
- Immigration Policy and Macroeconomic Performance in FranceEkrame BOUBTANE;
Dramane COULIBALY; Hippolyte D'ALBIS

- Emigrants from Great Britain: what do we know about their lives?
| Date: | 2015-02-26 |
| By: | John Jerrim (Department of Quantitative Social Science,
Institute of Education, University College London) |
| Each year more than 300,000 individuals leave Great Britain to start a
new life overseas. Indeed, recent estimates suggest that up to 4.7 million
British nationals now live abroad. Yet, in contrast to the substantial
literature on the economic and social welfare of immigrants into Great Britain,
comparatively little is known about the lives of emigrants from this country.
This report provides, to the author’s knowledge, the first quantitative study
of this important issue. Labour market and social outcomes are compared between
emigrants and individuals who choose to remain in Great Britain. I find a
number of significant differences between these groups, along with notable
variation by country of destination. This continues to hold true for certain
outcomes even when differences in observable characteristics are taken into
account. |

- Fertility Responses of High-Skilled Native Women to Immigrant Inflows
| Date: | 2015-03 |
| By: | Delia Furtado (University of Connecticut) |
| While there is debate regarding the magnitude of the impact, immigrant
inflows are generally understood to depress wages and increase employment in
immigrant-intensive sectors. In light of the over-representation of the
foreign-born in the childcare industry, this paper examines whether
college-educated native women respond to immigrant-induced lower cost and
potentially more convenient childcare options with increased fertility. An
analysis of U.S. Census data between 1980 and 2000 suggests that immigrant
inflows are indeed associated with increased likelihoods of having a baby, and
costs when making fertility decisions—namely, married women and women with a
graduate degree. Given that woman also respond to immigrant inflows by working
long hours, the paper ends with an analysis of the types of women who have
stronger fertility relative to labor supply responses to immigration. |

- Financial Education for Migrants and their Families
| Date: | 2015-03-30 |
| By: | Adele Atkinson ; Flore-Anne Messy |
| Money remitted by international migrants is a major source of income
for many countries around the world, exceeding all international development
funds combined. Yet individual migrants and their families are often amongst
the most vulnerable people in society, and many face significant barriers to
the access and use of appropriate financial products. Recognising their
importance and vulnerability, some home and host countries are taking measures
to support migrant workers and their families and improve their financial
literacy; in some cases this occurs within the framework of a national strategy
for financial education. In order to increase the extent of such support and to
improve international co-operation, this paper seeks to illustrate the key
challenges and suggest possible ways forward. The lessons learned will be used
by the OECD and its International Network on Financial Education to develop a
checklist for policy makers in order to increase the coverage of high-quality
financial education for migrants. |

- Cultural Biases in Migration: Estimating Non-Monetary Migration Costs
| Date: | 2015-03 |
| By: | Falck, Oliver (Ifo Institute for Economic Research) ; Lameli,
Alfred (University of Marburg) ; Ruhose, Jens (Ifo Institute for Economic
Research) |
| Ever since Sjaastad (1962), researchers have struggled to quantify the
psychic costs of migration. We monetize psychic cost as the wage premium for
moving to a culturally different location. We combine administrative social
security panel data with a proxy for cultural difference based on historical
dialect dissimilarity between German counties. Conditional on geographic
distance and pre-migration wage profiles, we find that migrants demand a
(indexed with respect to local rents) wage premium of about 1 (1.5) percent for
overcoming one standard deviation in cultural dissimilarity. The effect is
driven by males and those who earn above average occupational wages before
migration, more pronounced for geographically short moves, and persistent over
time. |

- Insights in Economical Complexity in Spain: the hidden boost of migrants
in international tradings
| Date: | 2015-03 |
| By: | Elena Agliari ; Adriano Barra ; Andrea Galluzzi ; Francisco
Requena-Silvente ; Daniele Tantari |
| We consider extensive data on Spanish international trades and
population composition and, through statistical-mechanics and graph-theory
driven analysis, we unveil that the social network made of native and
foreign-born individuals plays a role in the evolution and in the
diversification of trades. Indeed, migrants naturally provide key information
on policies and needs in their native countries, hence allowing firm's holders
to leverage transactional costs of exports and duties. As a consequence,
international trading is affordable for a larger basin of firms and thus
results in an increased number of transactions, which, in turn, implies a
larger diversification of international traded products. These results
corroborate the novel scenario depicted by "Economical Complexity", where the
pattern of production and trade of more developed countries is highly
diversified. We also address a central question in Economics, concerning the
existence of a critical threshold for migrants (within a given territorial
district) over which they effectively contribute to boost international trades:
in our physically-driven picture, this phenomenon corresponds to the emergence
of a phase transition and, tackling the problem from this perspective, results
in a novel successful quantitative route. Finally, we can infer that the
pattern of interaction between native and foreign-born population exhibits
small-world features as small diameter, large clustering, and weak ties working
as optimal cut-edge, in complete agreement with findings in "Social
Complexity". |

- The labor market effects of reducing the number of illegal immigrants
| Date: | 2015-03 |
| By: | Andri Chassamboulli ; Giovanni Peri |
| A controversial issue in the US is how to reduce the number of illegal
immigrants and what effect this would have on the US economy. To answer this
question we set up a two-country model with search in labor markets and
featuring legal and illegal immigrants among the low skilled. We calibrate it
to the US and Mexican economies during the period 2000-2010. As immigrants,
especially illegal ones, have a worse outside option than natives their wages
are lower. Hence their presence reduces the labor cost of employers who, as a
consequence, create more jobs per unemployed when there are more immigrants.
Because of such effect our model shows that increasing deportation rates and
tightening border control weakens the low-skilled labor markets, increasing
unemployment of native low skilled. Legalization, instead decreases the
unemployment rate of low-skilled natives and it increases income per native. |

- Promoting integration of immigrants. Effects of free child care on child
enrollment and parental employment
| Date: | 2015-02 |
| By: | Nina Drange ; Kjetil Telle (Statistics Norway) |
| Proficiency in the language spoken by the majority population may be
crucial for the cognitive development of children from immigrant families.
High-quality child care is believed to promote such language skills, and it is
thus of concern that children from immigrant families are underrepresented in
formal child care across OECD countries. How can we increase their
participation, and can such participation improve family integration? We study
an intervention in some districts of Oslo where children aged four and five
were eligible for twenty hours of free childcare weekly. Taking advantage of
the intervention being available in some city districts and not in others, we
estimate the effect of the intervention on the enrollment of children and on
their parents' employment and education, using outcomes measured for the same
family before and after the child's age of eligibility. We find that the
intervention increased the participation for children from immigrant families
by 15 percent. However, we do not find support for effects on parental
employment or education. The performance in tests at school entry (age six) for
children from immigrant families in city districts with free child care is
better than that of similar children in comparison districts. Overall, our
results suggest that subsidizing center based child care can improve the
cognitive development of children from immigrant families. |

- Improving the Labour Market Integration of Immigrants in Belgium
| Date: | 2015-03-25 |
| By: | Álvaro Pina ; Vincent Corluy ; Gerlinde Verbist |
| Immigrants make up one fifth of the Belgian working age population, but
their labour market integration is poor. Employment rates of non-EU immigrants,
in particular, are very low, and the problem extends to their native-born
offspring. Further, with more precarious jobs and lower wages, immigrants are
heavily exposed to poverty. This is explained by low educational attainment and
correspondingly high vulnerability to disincentives to work and relatively high
minimum wages, but also by more diffuse handicaps, like discrimination and
imperfect knowledge of the languages of Belgium. Improving the labour market
performance of immigrants requires a two-fold strategy. First, policies
specific to migrants need to be enhanced. To improve job matching, immigrants
need more support to develop and validate their human capital, and employers,
both public and private, need stronger incentives to hire a more diverse
workforce. Second, general reforms to improve the functioning of the economy,
desirable in any case, could also have a significant positive impact on
immigrants. There is vast scope to reduce labour costs and increase work
incentives for low-skilled workers. Also, the education system needs to become
more equitable and responsive to the needs of the children of immigrants. This
Working Paper relates to the 2015 OECD Economic Survey of Belgium
(www.oecd.org/eco/surveys/economic-survey-belgium.htm)<P>Améliorer l'insertion
des immigrés sur le marché du travail en Belgique<BR>Si les personnes immigrées
représentent un cinquième de la population en âge de travailler de la Belgique,
leur intégration au marché du travail reste faible. En particulier, le taux
d’emploi des ressortissants de pays extérieurs à l’UE est très bas, de même que
celui de leurs enfants nés en Belgique. Par ailleurs, les immigrés sont très
exposés au risque de pauvreté dans la mesure où les emplois qu’ils occupent
sont plus précaires et moins bien rémunérés. Ce phénomène s’explique par leur
faible niveau de scolarité, et en conséquence une forte sensibilité aux
facteurs dissuasifs pour le travail et à des salaires minimums relativement
élevés, mais aussi par des handicaps répandus et ancrés tel que la
discrimination et la maîtrise insuffisante des langues nationales de la
Belgique. Une stratégie en deux volets est indispensable pour améliorer la
situation des immigrés sur le marché du travail. D’une part, il convient
d’optimiser les mesures ciblées sur les immigrés. Pour améliorer l’appariement
de l’offre et de la demande d’emplois, les immigrés doivent être mieux
accompagnés pour développer et faire valider leur capital humain, tandis que
les employeurs, dans le secteur public comme dans le secteur privé, doivent
être davantage incités à diversifier leurs effectifs. D’autre part, des
réformes générales visant à améliorer le fonctionnement de l’économie, au
demeurant bienvenues en tant que telles, pourraient aussi avoir des retombées
positives significatives sur les immigrés. Des marges importantes existent pour
réduire les coûts de main-d’oeuvre et accroître les incitations au travail pour
les travailleurs peu qualifiés. Il faut aussi renforcer l’équité dans le
système éducatif, qui doit mieux répondre aux besoins des enfants d’immigrés.
Ce Document de travail se rapporte à l’Étude économique de l’OCDE de la
Belgique, 2015 (www.oecd.org/fr/eco/etudes/etude-economique-belgique.htm) |

- Household Migration and Child Educational Attainment: The Case of Uganda
| Date: | 2015-03 |
| By: | Ferrone, Lucia (UNICEF) ; Giannelli, Gianna Claudia
(University of Florence) |
| In many Sub-Saharan African countries, a large number of people migrate
internally or abroad because of demographic, economic and political factors.
This pronounced mobility is likely to have consequences for child education,
which is still a matter of concern in the region. We study this issue for
Uganda, investigating whether the migration of household members affects child
primary education and in what direction. Using the Uganda National Panel Survey
for 2005, 2009, 2010 and 2011, we estimate conditional fixed effects logit
models of school attendance and primary school completion. We find that
migration of children has a significant positive impact on child school
attendance rates while that of adults has a significantly negative effect, and
that remittances have no influence. These findings suggest that migration of
children is indeed beneficial, since it may contribute to matching the demand
and supply of schooling. The absence of adults, instead, has controversial
effects when children are left behind. In fact, lack of supervision and
children working substituting adults in their tasks might reduce the rate of
school attendance. However, the migration of neither children nor adults seem
to increase the rate of primary school completion, evidence that points to the
problem of the low quality of primary education in developing countries. |

- Changes in the Regional Distribution of New Immigrants to Canada
| Date: | 2015-03-18 |
| By: | Hou, Feng ; Picot, Garnett ; Bonikowska, Aneta |
| Canada and the United States have recently experienced an increase in
the regional dispersion of entering immigrants. American research suggests that
a mixture of economic push factors (away from states like California) and pull
factors (toward states with growth of low-wage jobs), as well as changing
government policies and regulations contributed to the development of the `New
Gateways.? Very few studies have been conducted to determine why the regional
dispersion of entering immigrants occurred in Canada. This paper assesses the
relative importance of immigrant selection programs and immigrant source
regions in accounting for changes in the regional dispersion of entering
immigrants during the 2000s. |

- Educational Attainment and Labor Market Performance: An Analysis of
Immigrants in France
| Date: | 2015-03 |
| By: | Akgüc, Mehtap (Center for European Policy Studies (CEPS)) ;
Ferrer, Ana (University of Waterloo) |
| Using a recent survey of immigrants to France, we provide a detailed
analysis of the educational attainment and labor market performance of various
sub-population groups in France. Our results indicate that immigrants to France
are less educated than the native born and that these differences can be
tracked down to differences in socioeconomic background for most groups of
immigrants. Similarly, there is a significant wage gap between immigrant and
native-born workers, but this is reduced and sometimes disappears after
correcting for selection into employment. In most cases the remaining
differences in education and labor market outcomes seem related to the area of
origin of the immigrant as well as where the education of the immigrant is
obtained. |

- The Winner Takes It All: Internal Migration, Education and Wages in
Ethiopia
| Date: | 2015-03 |
| By: | Blunch, Niels-Hugo (Washington and Lee University) ; Laderchi,
Caterina Cruggeri (World Bank) |
| Previous studies of migration have mainly examined international
dynamics. Yet, internal migration is an important issue, especially in
Sub-Saharan Africa. Using the 2001 Ethiopia Child Labor Survey, a nationally
representative household survey, this paper examines internal migration in
Ethiopia, focusing on the linkages among internal migration, education and
wages. The results suggest that migrants are better educated and obtain higher
wages than non-migrants, controlling for other factors (including education),
and also obtain higher returns to their education. In other words, the more
educated reap higher returns from their education as a main effect, as well as
higher returns to their education from migration than non-migrants – that is,
"the winner takes it all." This result should be of concern to policy makers in
Ethiopia and elsewhere – especially in Sub-Saharan Africa – since individuals
with low levels of education already are in a vulnerable group. The study
therefore also discusses the policy implications of these results. |

- Migration Externalities in Chinese Cities
| Date: | 2015-03 |
| By: | Combes, Pierre-Philippe (GREQAM, University of Aix-Marseille)
; Démurger, Sylvie (CNRS, GATE) ; Li, Shi (Beijing Normal University) |
| We analyse the impact of internal migration in China on natives' labour
market outcomes. We find evidence of a large positive correlation of the city
share of migrants with natives' wages. Using different sets of control
variables and instruments suggests that the effect is causal. The large total
migrant impact (+10% when one moves from the first to the third quartile of the
migrant variable distribution) arises from gains due to complementarity with
natives in the production function (+6.4%), and from gains due to agglomeration
economies (+3.3%). Finally, we find some evidence of a stronger effect for
skilled natives than for unskilled, as expected from theory. Overall, our
findings support large nominal wage gains that can be expected from further
migration and urbanisation in China. |

- Immigration and Wage Dynamics: Evidence from the Mexican Peso Crisis
| Date: | 2015-03 |
| By: | Monras, Joan (Sciences Po, Paris) |
| How does the US labor market absorb low-skilled immigration? I address
this question using the 1995 Mexican Peso Crisis, an exogenous push factor that
raised Mexican migration to the US. In the short run, high-immigration states
see their low-skilled labor force increase and native low-skilled wages
decrease, with an implied local labor demand elasticity of -.7. Internal
relocation dissipates this shock spatially. In the long run, the only lasting
consequences are for low-skilled natives who entered the labor force in
high-immigration years. A simple quantitative many-region model allows me to
obtain the counterfactual local wage evolution absent the immigration shock. |

- Immigration Policy and Macroeconomic Performance in France
| Date: | 2015-03 |
| By: | Ekrame BOUBTANE (Centre d'Etudes et de Recherches sur le
Développement International) ; Dramane COULIBALY ; Hippolyte D'ALBIS |
| This paper quantitatively assesses the interaction between permanent
immigration into France and France's macroeconomic performance as seen through
its GDP per capita and its unemployment rate. It takes advantage of a new
database where immigration is measured by the flow of newly- issued long-term
residence permits, categorized by both the nationality of the immigrant and the
reason of permit issuance. Using a VAR model estimation of monthly data over
the period 1994-2008, we find that immigration flow significantly responds to
France's macroeconomic performance: positively to the country's GDP per capita
and negatively to its unemployment rate. At the same time, we find that
immigration itself increases France's GDP per capita, particularly in the case
of family immigration. This family immigration also reduces the country's
unemployment rate, especially when the families come from developing countries.

This nep-mig issue comes without any express or implied warranty. You may
contact the editor by reply to this mail. General information on the NEP
project can be found at http://nep.repec.org. For comments please write to the
director of NEP, Marco Novarese at < director @ nep point repec point org >.