[colombiamigra] Fw: [nep-mig] 2015-04-11, 10 papers

  • From: "william mejia" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "wmejia8a@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: Colombiamigra <colombiamigra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 01:59:02 +0000 (UTC)

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Yuji Tamura <ernad@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: nep-mig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, April 12, 2015 8:08 PM
Subject: [nep-mig] 2015-04-11, 10 papers

nep-mig 2015-04-11 papers#yiv1449511282 body {font-family:verdana, arial,
univers, helvetica,
sans-serif;border-style:solid;border-width:4px;border-color:#008241;padding:4px;margin:0px;height:100%;line-height:1.3;}#yiv1449511282
.yiv1449511282h2 {font-size:2em;}#yiv1449511282 .yiv1449511282riban
{font-size:1.25em;}#yiv1449511282 #yiv1449511282edition_column
{border-right:0px;border-color:#008241;border-top-style:solid;border-top-width:4px;border-right-style:solid;border-right-width:2px;}#yiv1449511282
.yiv1449511282advert
{color:#FFFFFF;padding-left:4px;padding-top:2px;padding-bottom:2px;padding-right:2px;margin-top:4px;background-color:#008241;font-size:1.125em;font-weight:500;}#yiv1449511282
.yiv1449511282advert a:link {color:#FFFFFF;}#yiv1449511282
span.yiv1449511282paper_title {font-weight:600;}#yiv1449511282
.yiv1449511282advert a:visited {color:#FFFFFF;}#yiv1449511282
#yiv1449511282riban_left_table {width:100%;}#yiv1449511282
#yiv1449511282riban_table {width:100%;}#yiv1449511282
#yiv1449511282issue_service_name_td {text-align:right;}#yiv1449511282
#yiv1449511282snake_table {width:100%;border-spacing:0px;}#yiv1449511282
#yiv1449511282repad_cell
{border-color:#008241;border-spacing:0px;border-left-style:solid;border-left-width:2px;border-bottom-style:solid;border-bottom-width:4px;}#yiv1449511282
var {font-family:monospace;font-style:oblique;}#yiv1449511282 #yiv1449511282
.yiv1449511282report_handle {display:inline-block;width:5em;}#yiv1449511282
#yiv1449511282 .yiv1449511282year_count
{display:inline-block;width:3em;}#yiv1449511282 .yiv1449511282listhead,
#yiv1449511282 .yiv1449511282headbarlist td
{font-size:1.25em;background-color:#008241;color:#FFFFFF;}#yiv1449511282
.yiv1449511282noborder {border-width:0pt;}#yiv1449511282 h2, #yiv1449511282 h3,
#yiv1449511282 h4 {color:#008241;}#yiv1449511282 h4 em
{color:#000000;font-variant:normal;}#yiv1449511282 a:link
{color:#008241;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv1449511282 a:visited
{color:#004010;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv1449511282 a:active
{color:#000000;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv1449511282 a:hover
{color:#0000ff;}#yiv1449511282 a.yiv1449511282external:link
{color:#000000;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv1449511282
a.yiv1449511282external :visited
{color:#000000;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv1449511282
a.yiv1449511282external :active
{color:#000000;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv1449511282
a.yiv1449511282external :hover {color:#000000;}#yiv1449511282 hr
{color:#008241;background-color:#008241;height:4px;}#yiv1449511282
table.yiv1449511282headbar
{width:100%;background-color:#008241;color:#FFFFFF;}#yiv1449511282
table.yiv1449511282headbar a {color:#FFFFFF;}#yiv1449511282
td.yiv1449511282issue_paper_row_name
{width:7em;vertical-align:top;}#yiv1449511282 #yiv1449511282issue_papers_table
{margin-top:0px;margin-bottom:0px;}#yiv1449511282
table.yiv1449511282headbarlist a {color:#FFFFFF;}#yiv1449511282
#yiv1449511282validator {display:none;}#yiv1449511282 #yiv1449511282
.yiv1449511282prompt {background-color:#dddddd;}#yiv1449511282
.yiv1449511282footer
{font-size:.83em;border-top-style:solid;padding-top:4px;border-top-width:4px;border-top-color:#008241;}@media
{#yiv1449511282 table.yiv1449511282headbar
{color:black;background-color:white;}#yiv1449511282 a
{text-decoration:none;color:black;}#yiv1449511282 body
{border:0pt;}#yiv1449511282 img, #yiv1449511282 .yiv1449511282noprint
{display:none;}#yiv1449511282 .yiv1449511282silentlink
{display:none;}#yiv1449511282 p, #yiv1449511282 td, #yiv1449511282 th,
#yiv1449511282 li, #yiv1449511282 div {font-size:10pt;}}

| nep-mig | New Economics Papers |

| on Economics of Human Migration |

| Issue of 2015‒04‒11
ten papers chosen by
Yuji Tamura
La Trobe University
http://econpapers.repec.org/pta90
| |

- Migration Choice under Risk and Liquidity ConstraintsKleemans, Marieke
- Trust and Trustworthiness of Immigrants and Native-Born AmericansJames C.
Cox; Wafa Hakim Orman
- Gender Differences in the Effect of Residential Segregation on Workplace
Segregation among Newly Arrived ImmigrantsTammaru, Tiit; Strömgren, Magnus; van
Ham, Maarten; Danzer, Alexander M.
- Authoritarianism and labor market : preference of labor policies in the
Arab Gulf countriesMatsuo, Masaki
- The voices and protests of China's labour NGOs and their effort to promote
migrant worker rightsYamaguchi, Mami
- Immigration, Regional Conditions, and Crime: Evidence from an Allocation
Policy in GermanyPiopiunik, Marc; Ruhose, Jens
- The Economic Scope and Future of US-India Labor Migration IssuesJacob Funk
Kirkegaard
- Migration, labor and business in the worlding cities of the Arabian
PeninsulaGardner, Andrew M.
- Immigrants' Effect on Native Workers: New Analysis on Longitudinal
DataFoged, Mette; Peri, Giovanni
- Labour Informality, Selective Migration, and Productivity in General
EquilibriumHuikang Ying

- Migration Choice under Risk and Liquidity Constraints
| Date: | 2015 |
| By: | Kleemans, Marieke |
| This paper develops and tests a migration choice model that
incorporates two prominent migration strategies used by households facing risk
and liquidity constraints. On the one hand, migration can be used as an ex-post
risk-coping strategy after sudden negative income shocks. On the other hand,
migration can be seen an as investment, but liquidity constraints may prevent
households from paying up-front migration costs, in which case positive income
shocks may increase migration. These diverging migratory responses to shocks
are modeled within a dynamic migration choice framework that I test using a
20-year panel of internal migration decisions by 38,914 individuals in
Indonesia. I document evidence that migration increases after contemporaneous
negative income shocks as well as after an accumulation of preceding positive
shocks. Consistent with the model, I find that migration after negative shocks
is more often characterized by temporary moves to rural destinations and is
more likely to be used by those with low levels of wealth, while investment
migration is more likely to involve urban destinations, occur over longer
distances, and be longer in duration. Structural estimation of the model
reveals that migration costs are higher for those with lower levels of wealth
and education, and suggests that the two migration strategies act as
substitutes, meaning that those who migrate to cope with a negative shock are
less likely to invest in migration. I use the structural estimates to simulate
policy experiments of providing credit and subsidizing migration, and I explore
the impact of increased weather shock intensity in order to better understand
the possible impact of climate change on migration. |

- Trust and Trustworthiness of Immigrants and Native-Born Americans
| Date: | 2015-03 |
| By: | James C. Cox ; Wafa Hakim Orman |
| Trust and trustworthiness are crucial to amelioration of social
dilemmas. Distrust and malevolence aggravate social dilemmas. We use an
experimental moonlighting game with a sample of the U.S. population,
oversampling immigrants, to observe interactions between immigrants and
native-born Americans in a social dilemma situation that can elicit both
benevolent and malevolent actions. We survey participants in order to relate
outcomes in the moonlighting game to demographic characteristics and
traditional, survey-based measures of trust and trustworthiness and show that
they are strongly correlated. Overall, we find that immigrants are as trusting
as native-born U.S. citizens when they interact with native-born citizens but
do not trust other immigrants. Immigrants appear to be less trustworthy overall
but this finding disappears when we control for demographic variables. Women
and older people are less likely to trust but no more or less trustworthy.
Highly religious immigrants are less trusting and less trustworthy than both
other immigrants and native-born Americans. |

- Gender Differences in the Effect of Residential Segregation on Workplace
Segregation among Newly Arrived Immigrants
| Date: | 2015-03 |
| By: | Tammaru, Tiit (University of Tartu) ; Strömgren, Magnus (Umeå
University) ; van Ham, Maarten (Delft University of Technology) ; Danzer,
Alexander M. (University of Munich) |
| Contemporary cities are becoming more and more diverse in population as
a result of immigration. Research also shows that within cities residential
neighborhoods are becoming ethnically more diverse, but that residential
segregation has remained persistently high. High levels of segregation are
often seen as negative, preventing integration of immigrants in their host
society and having a negative impact on people's lives. Segregation research
often focuses on residential neighborhoods, but ignores the fact that a lot of
interaction also takes place in other spheres of life, such as the workplace.
This paper examines the role of residential segregation in workplace
segregation among recently arrived immigrants. By using unique longitudinal
register data from Sweden, we show that the role of residential segregation in
workplace segregation differs in an important way for immigrant men and
immigrant women. |

- Authoritarianism and labor market : preference of labor policies in the
Arab Gulf countries
| Date: | 2015-03 |
| By: | Matsuo, Masaki |
| Migrant and labor issues are a primary concern in the Arab Gulf
countries. With focus on the economic and political conditions that influence
actors' decisions when framing labor policies, this study analyzes how
preferences of such policies are formed and explains why the governments of the
Arab Gulf countries attempt to implement less economical policies. The findings
suggest that governments avoid concessions for enterprises required to
implement more economical policies and chose uneconomical ones to maintain
authoritarian regimes. |

- The voices and protests of China's labour NGOs and their effort to promote
migrant worker rights
| Date: | 2015-03 |
| By: | Yamaguchi, Mami |
| Labour NGOs in China are relatively new organizations that emerged in
the 1990s and have spread during the 2000s. Migrant workers in China are weak
both socially and economically and have been lacking ways of voicing grievances
and protesting. Grassroots labour NGOs for migrant workers seem to be an
efficient channel for their voices. This paper examines how labour NGOs emerged
and how they function in the context of current Chinese society. This paper
adopts the case study method to describe three NGOs in Beijing and Shenzhen.
The paper shows that these NGOs are using different methods to resolve migrant
worker problems. At the same time, they are voicing the migrants' grievances
and protesting in their own ways. |

- Immigration, Regional Conditions, and Crime: Evidence from an Allocation
Policy in Germany
| Date: | 2015-03 |
| By: | Piopiunik, Marc (Ifo Institute for Economic Research) ;
Ruhose, Jens (Ifo Institute for Economic Research) |
| After the collapse of the Soviet Union, more than 3 million people with
German ancestors immigrated to Germany under a special law granting immediate
citizenship. Exploiting the exogenous allocation of ethnic German immigrants by
German authorities across regions upon arrival, we find that immigration
significantly increases crime. The crime impact of immigration depends strongly
on local labor market conditions, with strong impacts in regions with high
unemployment. Similarly, we find substantially stronger effects in regions with
high preexisting crime levels or large shares of foreigners. |

- The Economic Scope and Future of US-India Labor Migration Issues
| Date: | 2015-05 |
| By: | Jacob Funk Kirkegaard (Peterson Institute for International
Economics) |
| This paper empirically investigates US-India labor migration and finds
that it dominates permanent and temporary employment-based migration to the
United States. The true economic value of temporary high-skilled Indian workers
in the United States, based on a new visa data based methodology, is estimated
to exceed $45 billion in recent years, surpassing the value of US cross-border
imports of goods or services from India. The paper analyzes the impact of a
potential US immigration reform on US-India bilateral labor migration relations
and finds the 2013 Senate Bill S-744 to ease access for Indian individuals to
the US labor market, while making it harder for some Indian high-tech firms to
operate in the US markets. |

- Migration, labor and business in the worlding cities of the Arabian
Peninsula
| Date: | 2015-03 |
| By: | Gardner, Andrew M. |
| This short essay, built on a foundation of more than a decade of
fieldwork in the hydrocarbon-rich societies of the Arabian peninsula, distills
a set of overarching threads woven through much of that time and work. Those
threads include a discussion of the social heterogeneity of the Gulf State
citizenries, the central role of development and urban development in these
emergent economies, the multifaceted impact of migrants and migration upon
these host societies, and the role of foreign 'imagineers' in the portrayal of
Gulf societies, Gulf values, and Gulf social norms. |

- Immigrants' Effect on Native Workers: New Analysis on Longitudinal Data
| Date: | 2015-03 |
| By: | Foged, Mette (University of Copenhagen) ; Peri, Giovanni
(University of California, Davis) |
| Using longitudinal data on the universe of workers in Denmark during
the period 1991-2008 we track the labor market outcomes of low skilled natives
previous identification strategies by considering immigrants distributed across
municipalities by a refugee dispersal policy in place between 1986 and 1998. We
find that an increase in the supply of refugee-country immigrants pushed less
educated native workers (especially the young and low-tenured ones) to pursue
less manual-intensive occupations. As a result immigration had positive effects
on native unskilled wages, employment and occupational mobility. |

- Labour Informality, Selective Migration, and Productivity in General
Equilibrium
| Date: | 2015-02-04 |
| By: | Huikang Ying |
| This paper studies the interactions between urban labour informality
and selective migration, and explores the consequences of productivity changes
at both sectoral and individual levels. It proposes a general equilibrium model
with heterogeneous workers to characterize the sizable agriculture sector and
urban informality in developing economies, and discusses implications for wages
and inequality. The model links the size of the urban informal sector to the
distributions of individual productivity endowments. The finding suggests that
improving average individual skills is an efficient way to alleviate urban
underemployment. Equilibrium responses also indicate that changes in labour
markets have only modest effects on wages and inequality. |

This nep-mig issue comes without any express or implied warranty. You may
contact the editor by reply to this mail. General information on the NEP
project can be found at http://nep.repec.org. For comments please write to the
director of NEP, Marco Novarese at < director @ nep point repec point org >.