[cochiselinux] fdisk

  • From: "Sears, Dick" <Richard.Sears@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cochiselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 15:26:40 -0700

Following Jeff's advice here I made a bootable SuSE live CD and started it
on a standalone machine
connected to nothing except a printer.  The machine has a totally screwed up
MBR due to a failed
Fedora installation. The SuSE boot process was very slow (with many failures
and retries) - perhaps 45 min.
I finally got to a login prompt, logged in as root, and found fdisk in
/sbin. At the sbin prompt I entered "fdisk /mbr,"
the whole purpose of the exercise. Apparently the MBR switch isn't valid.  A
Red Hat 8 book doesn't mention
it. (It was undocumented for many years in DOS.)
So, back to square one - beg a DOS boot disk from the Help Desk!

D. R. Sears
IT Team Leader
Network & Automation Support Br.
520-533-8280    DSN 821-8280