[cochiselinux] Re: fdisk

  • From: Jeffrey Denton <dentonj@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: cochiselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 16:59:00 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004, Sears, Dick wrote:

> Following Jeff's advice here I made a bootable SuSE live CD and
> started it on a standalone machine connected to nothing except a
> printer.  The machine has a totally screwed up MBR due to a failed
> Fedora installation. The SuSE boot process was very slow (with many
> failures and retries) - perhaps 45 min.  I finally got to a login
> prompt, logged in as root, and found fdisk in /sbin. At the sbin
> prompt I entered "fdisk /mbr,"  the whole purpose of the exercise.
> Apparently the MBR switch isn't valid.  A Red Hat 8 book doesn't
> mention it. (It was undocumented for many years in DOS.) So, back to
> square one - beg a DOS boot disk from the Help Desk!

The fdisk /mbr command only works with the DOS version of fdisk.  All
the command is doing is writing a boot loader used by windows to the
Master Boot Record.  The equivalent in Linux is run lilo -v or grub to
write it's boot loader to the MBR.  The easiest fix in Linux is to
simply delete all of the existing partitions.  The you can then load
your favorite OS and it will treat the hard drive as an unpartitioned
drive.

fdisk /dev/hda          <- change to the hard drive you want to change
p                       <- print existing partitions
d                       <- delete partition
<partition number>      <- you'll be asked which one to delete
d                       <- delete partition
<partition number>      <- you'll be asked which one to delete
repeat as necessary
w                       <- write the changes to the hard drive

dentonj