[cochiselinux] Re: GCC in a windows environment

  • From: Tom Ponsford <tponsford@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cochiselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 15:50:14 -0700

HI All,

Try MinGW32 which is a port of the gcc compiler to windows, it doesn't need
Cygwin so the foot-print will be "a lot" smaller.

http://gnuwin.epfl.ch/apps/mingw/en/index.html

If you want to run the compiler from a cdrom, it can be done. However, I think
it requires some munging of the registry files. You would also need to have
your object files point to a r/w hdd partition. You would essentially install
the compiler into a separate directory and logical drive, burn a cd from that
filesystem, then change the hdd filesystem point back to the cdrom. You would
have to use a cd9660 partition, hence the editing of the registry files. You
could try to burn a VFAT or NTFS filesystem onto a cdrom, but that can get
messy.

One good thing about open source and doing something like this is that you can
see EXACTLY what files are put where. Windows install programs install runtime
libraries, link libraries, edit registries all over the place and all hidden
to all but the most experienced users.

By looking at where the compiler program puts all the  files you could make
changes (or try). The big problem is that you may need to put certain dll's in
certain directories where windows expects to find them, so the easiest way
would most likely have the runtime dll's and a rw for the object files and
everything else on the cdrom. Unless you can get real tricky you will need to
install some files to the computer and hhave at least a directory for the
object files be written to.

If the USB thumbnail drive is r/w I would say that would be your best option,
as windows just sees it as another drive. I think MinCW32 is small enough.

Hope this helps

Tom

I am not sure that Knoppix has a compiler or not. but that would be another
option.

Cheers