[citw150] CITW150 L3Q4

  • From: Fred F <fuhrmf@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CITW150 <citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 17:36:44 -0700 (PDT)

The hoax I found started out as a hoax but has been recently moved to an actual
story.  As reported on http://HoaxBusters.ciac.org/ car thieves can get a
duplicate copy of your cars keys simply by turning your VIN number, which is
openly displayed on all vehicles, into the dealership.  Originally there had
been no actual account of this actually happening but it seems the email being
forwarded around gave some crooks a good idea and now it seems to be happening.
 Without even having to hot-wire your car now thieves can steal your car with
little effort.  I find it extremely disturbing that car dealerships do so
little to protect their costumers property.  It only make sense to ask for some
type of identification before simply handing over a set of keys to anyone who
walks in.  Lets hope this quickly becomes a hoax again.

  You can find the report at: http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/HBReal.shtml#vinnumber

and lay it on us.