[citw150] Re: CITW 150 L3 Q5 Web bugs

  • From: Christopher Padmore <pamorec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 18:08:14 -0700 (PDT)

I hate when people, especially companies, abuse the
internet. The purpose of the internet is to exchange
information. But because you can also use it for
e-commerece, tons of people are trying to make a
"quick buck". I can understand that, because that is
the American way, but to violate people's privacy, is
just dastard dastardly.

--- "A. Rice" <nascentjib@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I chose the topic of clear GIF Web bugs, because I
> knew nothing of this common monitoring technology. I
> can understand companies expecting to reap some
> benefit for providing the free services offered at
> websites, but the fact that information is being
> collected about you without your knowledge is
> unacceptable. The following site enumerates
> frequently asked questions about Web bugs, and
> states that they are rarely disclosed in privacy
> policies -
> http://www.eff.org/Privacy/Marketing/web_bug.html. I
> was also surprised to see a listing of companies
> that have used Web bugs on their sites, and in
> e-mail messages! The thing I find most alarming is
> that these images can reside in e-mail messages,
> informing outsiders whether you have read an e-mail.
> In addition, cookie information, as well as your
> e-mail address, can be returned to the server where
> the Web bug resides.
>

> -Angela

> Yahoo! for Good
>  Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina
> relief effort.

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable,
must be the truth.
-Sherlock Holmes

http://mail.yahoo.com