[citw150] CITW 150 L3 Q5 Web bugs

  • From: "A. Rice" <nascentjib@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: post CITW 150 <citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 13:10:51 -0700 (PDT)

I chose the topic of clear GIF Web bugs, because I knew nothing of this common
monitoring technology. I can understand companies expecting to reap some
benefit for providing the free services offered at websites, but the fact that
information is being collected about you without your knowledge is
unacceptable. The following site enumerates frequently asked questions about
Web bugs, and states that they are rarely disclosed in privacy policies -
http://www.eff.org/Privacy/Marketing/web_bug.html. I was also surprised to see
a listing of companies that have used Web bugs on their sites, and in e-mail
messages! The thing I find most alarming is that these images can reside in
e-mail messages, informing outsiders whether you have read an e-mail. In
addition, cookie information, as well as your e-mail address, can be returned
to the server where the Web bug resides.

-Angela

Yahoo! for Good