[citw150] CITW 150 L3 Q5 Carnivore

  • From: "Nathan Gates" <nategates@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 19:49:04 -0400

The FBI recently developed a tool to help combat terrorism and other crimes. The program was originally called Carnivore but was later changed to DCS1000 to sound more public friendly. It has the ability to "sniff" out certain watch words in emails and record pertinent information, such as who sent the email, the date, and the destination, which is then sent to the FBI. Several articles on the internet suggest that the FBI stopped using this software at the begging of the year and chose to use a commercially available instead. Free speech and civil rights advocates are worried that software like this can be missued if it is not monitored. But in the times that we live in, I feel that it is necessary to give up small freedoms like unmonitored email, is a small price to pay if something greater can be prevented by using this type of technology. If you don't have anything to hide, then you should not be worried.

Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all.
-Sam Ewing

NateGates@xxxxxxxxxxx
Nate Gates