[chaoscope] Development Update

  • From: Nicolas Desprez <freelists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 21:28:59 +0000

Hi all and happy new year!

First of all I've cleaned up all the spam that had accumulated on the forum and updated PHPBB to the latest version. I might have deleted a couple of legitimate accounts there however none with posts. Sorry if you were caught in the friendly fire.

Lately I've been working on a Windows interface for CSP. What remains to be done is the packaging and the documentation. A few new features were added:

- Super-sampling:
Long requested feature. Smooths the jagged edges on solid mode renders. 7 different levels: 2, 3, 4, 8, 15, 24 and 66. Super-sampling will improve quality of Liquid and Plasma modes, especially on foreground surface edges. It will greatly improve the quality of Solid rendering. Super-sampling only requires two extra bytes per pixel regardless of the number of samples. It also requires the attractor to be rendered for each sample or pass, i.e. setting the number of samples to 15 will multiply the rendering time by 15. The Solid mode however is an exception: The first pass will take as long as a normal, non-super-sampled render, but subsequent passes will be relatively faster as light buffers are only calculated once. Gas and Light modes will not benefit from super-sampling as long as the anti-aliasing is on.

- Anti-aliasing always on:
This is only relevant for future projects where the anti-aliasing will be disabled by default.

- Opaque always on (Solid only):
When used, the attractor is completely opaque and the transparency buffer is used to render perfectly anti-aliased edges between the attractor and the background. Shadow edges go through the same process. Overlapping edges between different parts of the attractor are not anti-aliased. Opaque and super-sampling can be cumulated.

- Ambient occlusion: (Solid only):
Method that greatly improves the ambient light realism. Only noticeable on parts of the attractor that don't receive any light. It doesn't slow down the render as it is calculated when the image is saved.

- Saturation:
Boosts the vibrancy of colours in all modes. It's especially good at counterbalancing the tendency high gamma has to produce "washed out" images.

- Resize:
Allows the user to resize all renders by a given percentage. Iterations
are scaled accordingly, i.e. if you resize the render by a factor of 10, the number iterations will be divided by 100.

- Animate:
Produces a batch of numbered images showing the attractor rotating around the Y-axis (microwave style). Original rotation is preserved, i.e. the first image will be identical to the original project.

All these will feature in the next version of Chaoscope.

I'll let you know when the install is ready for download. Subscribers will get a chance to play with the Batch Renderer before the release is public.

Regards,

Nicolas Desprez