<CT> Re: Win and Novell Network

  • From: Michael Lennartz <lennartz-mi@xxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 07:37:21 +0100

Hallo Duncan,

only some suggestions:

Some years before I had a similar installation, but without Calmira.
On the novell server, there was a directory for windows and
windows/system. It was mapped as drive N: for every user. So the
overhead is very small, because you have only one
windows-installation. In the autoexec.bat, we set

path=n:\;n:\system;%path%

so windows was in the path and everything could be found by every
user. N:\ was write-protected.

Every user had its own windows-dir on the server (let's say X:\) with
win.com, win.ini and all *.grp and *.ini-files. In this directory,
the user has all rights. He can destroy his own environment, but not
the complete windows, which is another directory and set to
read-only. The rest of the windows-installation can be found through
the path.

This works only, if everybody uses the same standard hardware
(VGA...). Then you can login at any machine, and always get your own
environment. BTW: The login happened under DOS, there were set all
mappings. So windows started with given drives. The user was directed
to X:.

I think, if you put the complete Calmira into the user's own win-dir
(X:\), it should work. May be, you can put Calmira into an
read-only-directory and write the INI-files into the user's dir. Just
try.

You can install 16-bit-MS Office (Version 5.x/6.x?) in the same way.
There is a switch (badly documented), which helps to do such an
installation.

Mit freundlichem Gruß / Regards / Saluton

Michael Lennartz
lennartz-mi@xxxxxxx
Fax: +49 89 244 34 52 57