<CT> Re: calmira_tips Digest V2 #213

  • From: GLENNRPH@xxxxxxx
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 13:21:51 EST

Duncan,
In addition to the "shared" Windows installation mentioned in a previous
reply, you should also setup Calmira to have multiple users...each will have
their own Start Menu, Trash Bin, etc. unless you decide differently.  In the
Calmira Help and other docs their is a pretty good explanation of how to have
multi-user Calmira.  Each "user" is assigned a user name and password, which
they login to when Windows starts.  For this to work, all users would need to
share one install of Calmira.

Good Luck!
Glenn
GLENNRPH
http://members.aol.com/GLENNRPH/glennrph.htm
http://members.surfbest.net/wizard57m@xxxxxxxxxxxx/index.htm

<< From: "Duncan Simpson" <duncan@xxxxxxxxxx>
 Subject: <CT>
 Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 10:29:13 -0000

 Hi there; I am a school technician; I've been keeping up-to-date with
 Calmira, am I was thinking of implementing it on the computers in the main
 IT room.
 I installed the software and OK, things seemed fine.  But there seems to be
 a bit of a problem;

 All the computers remote boot of the Novell Netware servers.  To stop
 sharing lockups on the servers, we have to separate every single copy of
 Windows from every other.  (i.e. every machine uses a different copy of
 windows).  I replaced my specific windows copy and install Calmira.
 Everything worked fine.

 I was demonstrating it to our IT administrator, when he suggested
 implementing it into the general user environment.
 This is were trouble started.
 It's all very well for the high and might administrators; we have
 unrestricted access to all the files on all the servers.  The general pupil
 users, however, don't.
 When we installed the system, we set everything up so that all 35 computers
 had one unprotected directory for temporary files and writing.
 When the user logged in, the server copied from the template directory a
 copy of Windows, then locks it again, so nothing can be changed.
 When we put Calmira in, it protected the directory.  This is the only
 problem we have.

 The minute windows opened, up comes a modal system error message saying it
 cannot write to the disk.  We clicked OK and the whole computer froze.
 Since my user doesn't protect the windows directory on login, my Calmira was
 fine, but Calmira seems to need unprotected directories and things.

 --- Anyway, it all boils down to this question here;
 Is there any way of configuring Calmira to not need Read/Write access to the
 directories?

 I'd like to thank any advice in advance.
 Thanks.