<CT> Re: Linux or *NIX on old hardware

  • From: Bob Groves <bobgroves@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 15:49:40 +0000

On Sunday 12 Sep 2004 12:55 pm, Martin B. Brilliant wrote:
> Bob Groves <bobgroves@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> (referring to my Toshiba T1000SE with an '086 processor)
>
> > Ross Nelson wrote: Linux may or may not run on it! :D
> >
> > Yes, I think BasicLinux certainly would/should.
>
> I looked up BasicLinux, and one of the minimum requirements is a 386
> processor. That's the first processor with full 32-bit, virtual
> memory, protected mode capability.

Ah, pity!

> Also, Ross Nelson wrote: Maybe 1BSD or 2BSD?
>
> I don't think so. One of the basic features of UNIX(tm) and all its
> clones and versions is a flat address space.

Well, this all goes back to the many times people used to call for something
better than DOS way back in the distant past - hence the proliferation of
task-swappers like DesqView (remember that one!) and DOSshell. I still have
DesqView on floppies (wonder if it will run in a Xdosemu box under Linux -
just for fun of course...)

Greetings!

--
Bob Groves, Hon. Sec. APTT