<CT> Linux or *NIX on old hardware

  • From: "Martin B. Brilliant" <mbrilliant@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 08:55:48 -0400

Bob Groves <bobgroves@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

(referring to my Toshiba T1000SE with an '086 processor)

> Ross Nelson wrote: Linux may or may not run on it! :D
>
> Yes, I think BasicLinux certainly would/should.

I looked up BasicLinux, and one of the minimum requirements is a 386
processor. That's the first processor with full 32-bit, virtual
memory, protected mode capability.

Also, Ross Nelson wrote: Maybe 1BSD or 2BSD?

I don't think so. One of the basic features of UNIX(tm) and all its
clones and versions is a flat address space.

A 16-bit address can't directly address any more than 64K of RAM.
That's why MS-DOS and all its applications (including Windows 3.x
and Calmira) depend on segment-offset addressing with 64K segments.

UNIX, Linus, etc. avoid that mess, and that means they need at least
a 32-bit processor. In the Intel line, that means 386 or better.

--
                                                Marty
Martin B. Brilliant at home in Holmdel, NJ