<CT> Re: Linux or *NIX on old hardware

  • From: Ross Nelson <ross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 08:35:50 -0500

> Also, Ross Nelson wrote: Maybe 1BSD or 2BSD?
>
> I don't think so. One of the basic features of UNIX(tm) and all its
> clones and versions is a flat address space.
>
> A 16-bit address can't directly address any more than 64K of RAM.
> That's why MS-DOS and all its applications (including Windows 3.x
> and Calmira) depend on segment-offset addressing with 64K segments.
>
> UNIX, Linus, etc. avoid that mess, and that means they need at least
> a 32-bit processor. In the Intel line, that means 386 or better.

UNIX started long before the 80386, though.  (Unless the PDP-11 etc
were 386's ;)  )  I'm not sure when 1BSD and 2BSD came out, but I'm
assuming one of them should be old enough to work.  If not, there's
gotta at least be something else out there aside from boring old
progman.exe that can be run on it.

Ross