<CT> Re: DOS networking...

  • From: JGrossklass@xxxxxxxxxxx (Stephan Grossklass)
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 23:11:16 +0200

> Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 12:00:26 -0600 (MDT)
> From: "Brian L. Johnson" <blj8@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: <CT> DOS networking...

> ObDisclaimer: Networking makes my head hurt, so go easy. :)

> I have a secondary computer, a Compaq Deskpro 2000 (P166, 32m RAM)
> running DOS 6.22 and WfWG 3.11, and it has a network card, a 3com
> EtherLink III with the 3c509 chipset. It is hooked directly to my
> main computer with a crossover cable.

> I'm trying to get this &#*&^ thing networked to my main computer
> running Linux so that I can transfer and share files. What I'd
> prefer is a DOS-based network, so I can have a network up even if
> Windows isn't running at the time.

> I don't want Novell IPX/SPX/whatever, just a TCP/IP-based network
> with IP numbers. I'm open on filesharing protocols, eg, NFS, SMB
> (Samba), FTP, etc... Whatever works..

DOS based networking with TCP/IP is especially one thing: pretty ugly.=20
Eats lots of conventional RAM and the performance is rather bad, too.=20
It's *that* much easier to do in WfW 3.11: Get NIC drivers from 3Com=20
[1], install TCP/IP from tcp32b.exe [2], install the NIC drivers and the =

TCP/IP protocol, configure the stuff (including file sharing on one end=20
and Samba on the other one), and off you go. It wasn't much harder than=20
that on my DX/2-66 with the Cogent card, at least.
If you don't like the idea of always having Windows as such running, you =

could do a (more or less) minimum WfW setup into a new directory and, in =

addition to disabling the logo, use dosprmpt.pif or command.com in=20
fullscreen mode as the shell for Windows. (While I'm thinking of it,=20
IIRC I had to load Program Mangler anyway and put stuff into the startup =

group. An "inverse" color scheme may be suited quite well.) With just=20
the VGA driver, no sound, no NetBEUI and a manually assigned IP this=20
should be halfway lightweight and quick to start.

Stephan

[1] Umm, wasn't that driver already included in WfW 3.11? Seems so.
     Anyway, in case you need something else for the card:=20
http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/searchbyproduct.jsp?path=3Ddownload&se=
arch=3D3c509
[2] Not hard to find in case you shouldn't have it yet.
--=20
Stephan Gro=DFkla=DF (7bit: Grossklass) an der Hauptkiste:
P3B-F, P3-500@620, 512MB, 19+8GB HDD; Win2k, WfW 3.11 + Calmira II 3.2
eMail: mailto:jgrossklass@xxxxxxxxxxx | Webmaster: http://www.i24.com/
Home: http://jgrossklass.bei.t-online.de/