<CT> Re: calmira_tips Digest V3 #144

  • From: "Martin B. Brilliant" <mbrilliant@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 18:02:19 -0400

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002 12:00:26 -0600 (MDT), "Brian L. Johnson"
<blj8@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Networking makes my head hurt.... I have a secondary computer, ...
> running DOS 6.22 and WfWG 3.11 ... and it has a network card, a
> 3com EtherLink III with the 3c509 chipset.... I'm trying to get
> this &#*&^ thing networked to my main computer running Linux ....
> What I'd prefer is a DOS-based network....

I have a collection of old computers in my basement networked with thin-net
coax. One of the cards is a 3c509. Linux runs that; maybe you want to swap
cards with the Linux box. But 3Com has drivers on its site; I just went to
www.3com.com, clicked product support, entered 3c509 in the product number
space, clicked drivers, and scrolled down to 3c509x2.exe for "DOS, Novell,
OS/2".

WfWg has a networking component that runs in DOS. I never use it, because
the DOS networking commands make my head hurt. But networking WfWg with
other Microsoft OS's is a piece of cake, and networking with Linux should
be possible with Samba.

                                                Marty
Martin B. Brilliant at home in Holmdel, NJ