<CT> Re: DOS networking...

  • From: Erwin Dokter <edokter@xxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 20:30:52 +0200

Brian L. Johnson wrote:

> I'm trying to get this &#*&^ thing networked to my main computer
> running Linux so that I can transfer and share files. What I'd
> prefer is a DOS-based network, so I can have a network up even if
> Windows isn't running at the time.

OK, you have two choices:

1. MS-DOS client for Microsoft network
   Let's you access all LanMan based networks, but cannot share.

2. Microsoft Workgroup Addons for MS-DOS
   Same as above (but older version) but will also let you share.

If you do run WfW 3.11, I *highly* recommend using it's build in network
suport instead; it uses 32-bit drivers which are a lot more stable then
the MS-DOS real mode drivers. Don't forget to download MSTCPIP for WfW.

> I don't want Novell IPX/SPX/whatever, just a TCP/IP-based network
> with IP numbers. I'm open on filesharing protocols, eg, NFS, SMB
> (Samba), FTP, etc... Whatever works..

Put one of the above packages on MS-DOS and throw Samba on your linux
box Samba acts as an NT Server towards LanMan clients.

> Is there ANYTHING out there that supports a 3c509 card, that'll let
> me set up a filesharing LAN simply and easily, without making my
> brain smoke? Remember, half of this setup is a Linux box, so it has
> to be platform-independant.

EVERYTHING out there supports the good old 3COM Etherlink III 3c509. Go
to the 3COM site to download the divers for MS Client or any other
OS/network you haven't even heard of... The main driver download
(creates two floppies) has drivers for MS-DOS (LanMan), OS/2, all
windows versions, Novell, packet driver, etc... There is also a Linux
driver as a seperate download.

-- Erwin Dokter
   mailto:edokter@xxxxxxx
   http://members.home.nl/edokter