<CT> Re: Calmira on New PC

  • From: "John" <spyder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 11:00:35 -0500

> I recently got a new PC - PIII 733MHz, 128k, 20G, SiS630.  It's this
latter
> component, the integrated chipset (actually a single chip) that's causing
> the problem I believe.  I've created a 1G partition and installed DOS 6.22
> and WFW3.11 with Calmira II v3.1.

128k; typo I do hope <g>  I currently have 384 MB <G> ....

> Unfortunately, I've been unable to find SiS630 video drivers for Win3.x
and
> the only standard generic resolutions that work are those with 16 colours
or
> less!  Worse still, I'm unable to control the scan frequency, which
results
> in unacceptable flicker.

I had a SIS 530 onboard video card, worked great in windows 98 and even
linux, however not so good in win16.  I had problems as you described.  I
found the 16 color SVA driver to have the best stability in WFWG311...  Odds
are you *could* disable onboard video and run a different card if you
choose...  in all honesty you will still have things that do not work
properly...  On my board w/ SIS 530 the blue screen a death never shown well
enough to be read...

Sorry to say but you are pretty much out of luck...

John