[calibrebooks] Travel book review

  • From: "Elizabeth Lovick" <liz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <calibrebooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 12:34:16 -0000

Fried eggs with chopsticks by Polly Evans

This is about her 6 or 8 week trip round China using public transport.  It
is best when she is giving short accounts of historical events from the
areas she is traveling in.  It is worst when she is trying too hard to be
funny.

I suspect she is very young, and this shows.  She is very self-centred and
moans too much - she did choose to do this!

The book is probably worth the time reading it, but it could have been so
much better.  She needs to stop trying to be another Michael Palin and find
her own voice.

3/5 I think!  I did finish it and I did learn quite a bit about Chinese
history.

Liz

--
Elizabeth Lovick, Orkney, UK