[cad-linux-dev] Re: push vs pull network architecture

  • From: Bruno Postle <bruno@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CAD linux development <cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 22:53:41 +0100

On Mon 05-Apr-2004 at 02:53:55PM -0600, Eric Wilhelm wrote:

[snip, idea of NFS/FAM for client/server CAD data access]

> From my slight experience, NFS has some warts on it.

Lots.

> In something intended to be distributed across the internet, I
> think we would want better than host-based security.

Yeah, NFS/FAM needs to be tunneled through untrusted networks.

The point I was trying to make is that this kind of remote real-time
multi-client data-access might be cool in a demonstration [*] or in a
game like Quake..

..but a more formal CVS-like system of "check-out -> work-offline ->
check-in" is the way I _really_ want to be working with design data.

[*] I demoed 'Draft' the other day by opening a single drawing on
    three different workstations.  This 'fridge' drawing has a bunch
    of letters of the alphabet that can be dragged around to form
    words - It's fun, but it's no basis for collaborative working.
    <http://bugbear.blackfish.org.uk/~bruno/draft/>

--
Bruno