[cad-linux-dev] Re: push vs pull network architecture

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 14:53:55 -0600

# The following was supposedly scribed by
# Bruno Postle
# on Monday 05 April 2004 07:34 am:

>NFS is robust and fast, it supports locking etc.. - So long as you
>restrict your data-channel requirements to filesystem semantics.
>
>FAM works with NFS (it listens on another port as you suggest) so
>you can have the server notify the client of changes without having
>to poll.

From my slight experience, NFS has some warts on it.  In something intended to
be distributed across the internet, I think we would want better than
host-based security.  It seems that I've read something about the new NFS
supporting better security models, but maybe you can correct me on that.

--Eric
--
"...our schools have been scientifically designed to
prevent overeducation from happening."