[cad-linux-dev] Re: Decentralisation and version attributes

  • From: Bruno Postle <bruno@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CAD linux development <cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 19:16:21 +0100

On Tue 24-Aug-2004 at 13:03 -0500, Eric Wilhelm wrote:

> We'll need import and export, and the connectors are going to be written in
> multiple languages, so I'd like to keep things as simple as possible.
>
> Do you have some sample directories of Draft databases?  Send links.

The Draft tarball has some test drawings:

    http://bugbear.blackfish.org.uk/~bruno/draft/Draft-0.03.tar.gz

They are simplistic and need YAML-isation  (I have no intention of
continuing with this home-rolled internal file-format), but they do
demonstrate some of the things I have been talking about:

-  Addressing drawings/directories.  Draft implements xrefs and
   blocks; including live updating, recursive references and
   polymorphic inheritance.

   Blocks are implemented as sub-directories with relative paths,
   xrefs are implemented as external directories with either
   relative or absolute paths.

-  Addressing elements.  Individual elements are addressed using
   file paths as part of the polymorphism system.

The one lesson I learnt from doing it this way is that elements need
versions ;-)

--
Bruno