[cad-linux-dev] Re: Decentralisation and version attributes

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CAD linux development <cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 13:03:50 -0500

# The following was supposedly scribed by
# Bruno Postle
# on Tuesday 24 August 2004 12:35 pm:

>This is defined by the entity type and version, initial entity specs
>can leave out units altogether for all I care, since I could
>personally use implicit millimetres for everything (as 'Draft' does
>at the moment).
>
>..but a version label is different; without them, entities can only
>persist through time via forced conversions at a pace defined by
>software developers not users - The sort of nasty game certain CAD
>vendors play.

If an entity's format changes without upgrading the entire drawing, you're
going to have a mess in your drawing.

Consider the grep litmus test.  If I'm going to grep for something, it had
better be stupid.

  for i in `grep -l "^type: *line$"`;do grep -l "^layer: *4$ $i;done

If your lines have different versions, you might miss something with that.
I'll grant you a global line_version attribute, but I can't give you a
different version in each line.  It just gets too disjointed.

>I can deal with this situation with 'Draft' by having a custom
>connector to your hub that copies everything exactly but propagates
>the 'version' between the drawing attributes and the element
>attributes - But I'd rather interact with the data directly at the
>filesystem level.

Can you make this work with a global line_version?  I'd like to see Draft
connected directly to rhizopod too, but rhizopod has to be simple enough to
be usable without an international consortium drafting a spec and reference
implementation during a 17-week lock-in in Amsterdam.  If Draft out-grows
rhizopod, then there will have to be a connector.

We'll need import and export, and the connectors are going to be written in
multiple languages, so I'd like to keep things as simple as possible.

Do you have some sample directories of Draft databases?  Send links.

--Eric
--
Peer's Law: The solution to the problem changes the problem.