Broad Oak PS & ELC Mailing Newsletter No 27.doc

  • From: Lynne Atkinson <office@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <broadoak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 10:44:43 +0100

Newsletter No: 27
Date: 20th April 2010.

Welcome Back!!

We hope you had a lovely Easter / Spring Break and the children seem to have
returned to school all refreshed and rested from their 2 week holiday. Our one
problem is that Mrs Hughes, our Deputy Head, is still enjoying her holiday in
Spain - well, to be honest, she's worried about trying to get back from Spain
as she's presently stuck there due to the Icelandic Volcano Ash Cloud!! She's
hoping to be back on Thursday - but it all depends on flights and, from
listening to the news this morning, it's looking doubtful!!

After School Clubs - Keep Fit

As we are unsure whether Mrs Hughes will be back in time, Keep Fit on Friday,
23rd April will be cancelled.

Trim Trail

Have you seen our new Trim Trail?? - the wooden apparatus which has been built
at the back of the school - it looks fantastic!! Chloe, in Year 6, designed the
trail and was present at every stage of its construction. At present we are
waiting for the grass to settle before the flooring is laid underneath. Until
the flooring arrives, please can all children keep off the Trim Trail - as this
will stop shoes getting muddy and the grass being spoiled.

Year 2 Class Assembly

What a lovely Assembly Year 2 put on for us on the last day of last term - all
about the 'Cow Who Laid an Egg'. It was a super performance enjoyed by
teachers, children and parents/carers alike!! Have a look on the school website
and see the photos!! (Look under Class Stories / Year 2.)

Our next Class Assembly will be presented to us by Year 1 on the 21st May.

Team Point Winners
Last time's winners - Sycamore

Punctuality

Don't forget that school begins at 8.55am and, because of quite a few late
comers last term, we have started our "late" book which is on the shelf just
outside the office. Older children will sign themselves in and parents of
younger children will be asked to sign in on their behalf. This will prevent
children arriving after the register has been taken being marked as "absent"
and also ensure that a school dinner is ordered for those children who have
them.

Next week, instead of our usual health initiative week, we are holding a 'Get
to School on Time' week. More information will come home to you on Friday!!

Easter Egg Raffle

Many thanks to all those who bought some tickets for our Easter Egg Raffle. We
raised just over £200 which will be going towards the Tax and MOT of the
school's mini bus.  Approximately 18 prizes (some big and some small) were
given out on the last day of term, with the main prize being won by Anna in our
Year 6 class. Thanks again to all the staff and PTA members of the school for
donating the prizes!!

School Lunch - Week 1 Beginning 26th April
Please ensure that dinner money is paid on Friday if you want dinners next
week.  Only £9.50 per week, £1.90 a day. Money should be given, via your child,
to their teacher in an envelope marked 'Dinner Money' with their name, class
and amount.
Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Sausage & gravy, mashed potatoes, broccoli or Pasta in a Creamy Mascarpone
sauce, salad & garlic bread.

Yorkshire Pudding with Savoury Mince, mixed veg., herby potatoes or Spanish
Chicken & Noodles, salad, crusty baguette.

Traditional Beef & Onion Pie, carrots, new potatoes or Vegetable Ravioli,
homemade dough balls.

Roast Pork Loin, apple sauce, gravy, roast potatoes, garden peas or Lasagne,
salad, garlic bread.

Lightly Battered Fish, low fat chips or new potatoes, baked beans or Chicken
Tikka Masala, mixed rice, salad.

Chocolate & Banana Sponge with chocolate sauce.

Jelly with fruit ice cream.

Apple Crumble & custard sauce.

Irish Fruit Loaf with banana milk.

Berry Roly Poly & custard sauce.

Usually available daily (subject to availability) stuffed jacket potatoes,
selection of sandwiches, salad, fresh or frozen yoghurt, fresh fruit, milk or
fruit drinks, homemade cakes and cookies.  Vegetarian/Religious diets also
available subject to demand

What's Happening This Term...

Below is a list of things that are happening between now and the end of term.
As you can appreciate, at present, many of these dates are provisional - and I
promise that I'll tell you of any changes that we make to the list - and I'll
remind you again nearer the time!!

If you misplace this list - don't forget that all old newsletters (including
this one) and indeed a list of school events and their dates are available on
our school's website!!

School opens

19th April

Topic letters out

23rd April

Get to school on time week - w/b

26th April

May Day

3rd May

Cycle training starts (2 weeks)

begin 17th May

Year 1 Class Assembly

21st May

New Reception parents meeting 7pm

provisionally 26th May

Half Term

31 May to 4 June (inclusive)

INSET days

7th and 8th Jun

KS2 Europe Enrichment Week - w/b

9th June

Hothersall Lodge residential

14th to 18th June (inclusive)

Healthy Eating Week - w/b

21st June

Life Education Bus

23rd to 25th June (inclusive)

Multicultural day

30th June

WRIST celebration evening 7pm

6th July

End of Year Reports to Parents

9th July

Reception Class Assembly

9th July

Parent's Evening 3.15 - 5.00pm

15th July

KS2 leavers performance (afternoon)

20th July

KS2 leavers performance (evening)

21st July

Leaver's Assembly - 1.30pm

23rd July

School Closes 3.15pm

23rd July

Did you know...
According to our most recent OFSTED inspection - 96% of the parents who filled
in the questionnaire said that they are happy with their child's experience at
school.

Yours sincerely

Mr S B Smith

Headteacher

This e-mail is confidential and privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail
or take any action in reliance on its content.