Broad Oak PS & ELC Mailing Newsletter No 23.doc

  • From: Lynne Atkinson <office@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: broadoak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 11:42:50 +0000

Newsletter No: 23

Date: 5 March 2008

A new phase for Broad Oak!

After six very enjoyable and rewarding years at Broad Oak I have accepted an
offer to be the Headteacher of a large school in Warrington.  This change
will take place in September.  The Governing Body is already in the advanced
stages of completing the appointment process and expects to make an
appointment shortly.  They will notify parents as soon as the appointment
has been confirmed.  I will continue to lead our highly experienced staff
team in my current post until August 2008, with much to look forward to in
our busy Spring and Summer Terms ahead.  The Governing Body and I will keep
you informed of developments; in the meantime should you have any queries
about this matter, in the first instance, please contact me.

PE Kits & Uniform

Parents are reminded that they should ensure that their child has the
correct PE kit in school.  This is very important for your child?s health
and safety.  Please also ensure that your child has proper shoes as
described in the school prospectus.  Trainers are not permitted as school
wear. Not to provide the correct PE kit or shoe wear is contrary to the
Governing Body?s Uniform Policy.

Wear a mask or hat to school ? This Friday

To end our Special Week to highlight the importance of reading as part of
our school ?Readon? Initiative, we are encouraging children to wear a hat or
mask of a book character to school on Friday 7th April.

There will be a competition for the best ?home-made? mask.

Reminder: Parent sessions on Drugs Education

We are making our drug education accessible for parents.  From research we
know that drug education is far more effective when parents take an active
role.  There are two sessions available for you to gain more information.
You may come to either or both of the sessions.

Parents Session 1: The first will be on Monday 10 March from 8.55am to
9.55am.  This will be looking at some of the resources Life Education will
use in the children?s curriculum sessions.

Parents Session 2: ?Talking about Drugs?: The second session available is on
Tuesday 11th March from 6.30 to 7.15pm.  This second session is for adults
only (no children whatsoever) and will look at developing your knowledge as
well as factors that affect risky behaviour by young people, including drug
misuse.   To come to this session you need to complete the attached slip and
return it to the school office by Friday 7th March.

If you have any queries please direct these initially to your child?s class
teacher or the Life Education Centre staff.

Team Points
Last week?s winners - Ash

Sponsored Reading Activities ? Supporting Your School Library

Last week we launched our Sponsored Reading Activities.  You have been asked
to find as many sponsors as possible for your child to complete a set number
of reading activities.  These activities can either be done by your child on
their own or with your support.  All funds raised will go directly to
provide additional reading resources for our school library. Your support is
much appreciated.

Feedback from Parents Questionnaire

Thank you to all the parents who took part in our Annual Parent
Questionnaire.  I am pleased to see that parental satisfaction with Broad
Oak continues to be at a high level.

100% of parents consider the teaching to be good.

100% of parents think the staff expect their children to work hard and
achieve his or her best

100% of parents think the school is well led and managed

100% of parents think the arrangements for their son or daughter to settle
in when he or she started at the school were good.

Areas for further development as indicated by this questionnaire include the
level of information we provide about how children get on in school and an
increase in the seeking of views of parents and taking account of their
suggestions and concerns.  To develop both these elements we will be looking
at:

*       Providing data termly, either paper-based or online, direct to
parents through a new reporting process

*       Raising awareness of the suggestions box in the front lobby and the
online comments box on the website.

The annual questionnaire is one method we use to obtain parental views.
Unfortunately the return rate was only 20% of the school population.  There
were no responses through the online version.  A full copy of the Parents?
Questionnaire Summary 2008 is available on the Consultations section of the
school website.

This year we had lots of positive written comments ? this quote seemed to
sum them up:

?My two (children) love going to school, enjoy their days, together with
attending after school club ? they want to stop to the end.  Very happy.?  A
parent at Broad Oak.

School Lunch ? Week 2 Beginning 10 March
Please ensure that dinner money is paid on Friday if you want dinners next
week.  Only £8.25 per week. Money should be given, via your child, to their
teacher in an envelope marked ?Dinner Money? with their name, class and
amount.

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Pork loin steak with apple sauce, baby potatoes, gravy or Cheese pasta bake
with tomato bread.

Beef lasagne with crusty bread or Fish fingers.

Grilled gammon & pineapple, creamed potatoes or Freshly made minestrone soup
& hot filled baguette.

Roast chicken dinner, roast potatoes, gravy or Pasta parcels with garlic
bread.

Fun Feast

Pizza Margherita, Jacket Potato.

Chocolate & pear sponge with chocolate sauce

Devonshire apple splits.

Oaty plum crumble with custard.

Tropical Chelsea bun.

Jelly & ice cream

Usually available daily (subject to availability) stuffed jacket potatoes,
selection of sandwiches, salad, fresh or frozen yoghurt, fresh fruit, milk
or fruit drinks, homemade cakes and cookies.  Vegetarian/Religious diets
also available subject to demand

Superstars! ? Week ended 29 February

Mrs Yale's Class: Kieran, Adam, James

Mrs Sutton?s Class: Kenneth, Sophie
Mrs Wilson's Class: Levi, Shivam, Jack O

Mrs Barker?s Class: Adam, Ashleigh, Kirsten

Mrs Ashton?s Class: Charlie C, Naomi, Nicole, Chloe, Luke, Charlie F, Connor
C, Latisha

Mrs Hughes' Class: Sally, Martyn, Bethanie, Kieran

Mr Bromley?s Class: Adelle, Hiren, Kirsty, Molly

Yours sincerely

Mr C M Metcalfe

Headteacher

RETURN TO SCHOOL OFFICE BY FRIDAY 7TH MARCH

PARENTS SESSION 2: TALKING ABOUT DRUGS

Dear Mr Metcalfe

I would like to come to the parents? session on Tuesday 11 March at 6.30 ?
7.15pm.  I understand that I cannot bring any children to this session.
Thank you.

Parent(s) name: ______________________________

Parent(s) name: ______________________________

Parent of: ____________________________(Child?s Name)   Class:

WHY NOT RECEIVE THIS NEWSLETTER BY EMAIL?

IT?S SO EASY.

SIGN UP VIA THE SCHOOL?S WEBSITE.

JUST ENTER YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS IN THE ?SCHOOL MAILING LIST? AND THEN CHOOSE
?SUBSCRIBE?.

This e-mail is confidential and privileged.  If you are not the intended
recipient do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail
or take any action in reliance on its content.