[BNU] Re: converting braillenote files to word

  • From: "Terri Pannett" <pann1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mhurdt23@xxxxxxx>, <braillenote@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 11:17:55 -0800

Hi, Michelle and List,

I will try to give step-by-step instructions for converting a KeyWord document
to a Word file.

1.  Go to file manager by pressing f.

2.  Press t to translate the file.

3.  Press e for export document.

4. Press f to export a file.

5. select the document or documents you want to export. You can use single or
multiple wild cards.  The single wild card is [q] question nmark [b] space-236.
 The multiple wild card is [q] shift-8 [b] space-36.

6. When you get to the "export document to which file type" press [q] control-x
or [b] space-x to cycle through the different file types. When you locate
Microsoft Word, press enter.

7. Specify which drive and directory you want the exported files to go.

I know this sounds more complicated than it really is. You'll find this method
works well when you want to convert many documents to Word.

Do not use the braille to text and text to braille translation option because
you will only be creating another Keysoft document. When you use the export
feature, the document will automatically be translated into text, if it is a
braille document.

If my memory is correct, you can save an open KeyWord document as a Word file
before you exit it.  You can also create Word files from scratch. I will need
to look up the commands for this.

If you have a Word file open, you can press [q] escape [b] space-e and answer
no at the save as KeyWord document prompt. I hope my memory is correct. If I'm
wrong, someone can correct me.

I don't have an Apex so I have to look up things in the manual I downloaded
from the HW web site. I used my side-by-side command list to give you both
qwerty and braille commands.

I hope these instructions are helpful.

I'm using a U2Q as my notetaker now, and I must say that the HIMS notetakers
allow a person to create a text file and write using contracted braille. This
is an advantage for those of you who prefer braille keyboards. The text is
ASCII text, so anyone can read it. You don't have to use the proprietary Sense
document.

Terri, Amateur Radio Call Sign KF6CA.