[brailleblaster] Re: Java versions, notes may be useful for John

  • From: "Michael Whapples" <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 18:19:29 -0000

Not sure off hand. I think there is something like a copy element you can use. Probably the manual at the ant website will say, probably even basic tutorials on ant will say.

As for localisation, the short hand is L10N, its internationalisation which is I18N. I believe there are subtle differences between these, I think its one is creating messages for a given language where as the other is using formatting of countries (eg. US date is MM/DD/YYYY where as people like me do it correctly as DD/MM/YYYY).

Michael Whapples

-----Original Message----- From: John J. Boyer
Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2012 5:45 PM
To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [brailleblaster] Re: Java versions, notes may be useful for John

Hi Michael,

This is useful information. Here's another question.

The localization package will use Java properties files. They will
probably also be used in the settings package. How do I tell Ant to
include Java Properties files? Thaniks.

I hope you don't mind the spelling of localization. I hate abreviations
like I18n. (:

John

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 05:09:27PM -0000, Michael Whapples wrote:
Hello,
I noticed you made a recent commit documenting the Java version stuff. Here is some more information which may help you with making building easier.

I believe you are using ant for the build, here is a page describing how you can set –source and –target in an ant build script http://ant.apache.org/manual/Tasks/javac.html

In short the above page says that in the <javac> tag of the ant script you use the target attribute to specify the –target option and the source attribute to specify the –source option. Also if you are into ant properties then you can use ant.build.javac.target and ant.build.javac.source properties for these options.

If you were to make use of the above, people need not worry about what version of the JDK they are compiling on, so long as it meets the minimum required version (eg. JDK5) and it will run on any of the supported JVMs (eg. anything above Java5).