[brailleblaster] Re: JFace and MVC for SWT widgets

  • From: Chris von See <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 11:10:52 -0700

If you Google for "JFace data binding" you'll find some good articles about how JFace handles data binding and synchronization across views. I'm not sure that JFace will help with the really nasty bits such as (for example) translating locations in a StyledText control to nodes in an XOM tree, but you might find some amazing solution that I don't know about...

Here's a wiki on JFace data binding that you might find useful:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/JFace_Data_Binding

and a tutorial from IBM on the same topic:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/views/opensource/libraryview.jsp?search_by=understanding+jface+data+binding+eclipse

Cheers
Chris

On Jun 13, 2011, at 11:00 AM, John J. Boyer wrote:

Susan,

Thanks for looking into this.  I looked at Jface myself a while back,
but it seemed to me that it dealt mostly with tables and graphics. If it
is less complex tghan StyledText that is al to the good. I'll have a
look at the article you linked tgo.

John

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 10:29:12AM -0600, Susan Jolly wrote:
I have been becoming more and more convinced that the issues of deal with the content of a StyledText widget are more complicated than they should be.

After reading some more, I've learned something I should have already known if I were going to use SWT and that is that SWT and JFace are meant to go together. SWT is just widgets, i.e. the view. JFace, which like SWT can
be used independently of Eclipse, provides model-view-controller
functionality for using the SWT widgets.

Right now I'm trying to understand this better by reading this article:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-ecgui1/

Susan