[brailleblaster] Re: Another off-topic request for SWT information

  • From: Chris von See <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 14:50:32 -0700

Hi Dick -

I'll try to answer your questions below.

Cheers
Chris

On Aug 30, 2011, at 2:24 PM, Richard Baldwin wrote:

1. The labs at the college where I teach can't yet support 64-bit Java but my home computer can. So far, I haven't installed the 64- bit version on my home computer because I didn't have a need for 64- bit Java. Now I do have a need. Can the 32-bit version and the 64- bit version of Java peacefully coexist on the same Windows Vista Home Premium system? Some users of my program are running 64-bit Java and I need to upgrade my computer to act as a test platform for both 32-bit and 64-bit Java/SWT if possible.

CvS: Yes - I have this configuration on my Windows 7 system. The 32- bit version will get installed in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java" and the 64-bit version will get installed in "C:\Program Files\Java". You'll just need to invoke each version of Java from its respective install location.

2. I am experimenting for the first time with executable jar files. Can the 32-bit and 64-bit SWT DLL files be included in the same executable jar file, or will I need to create separate Jar files to support users who are running 32-bit Java and other users who are running 64-bit Java?

CvS: I've not tried this, so I can't say for sure. I'm guessing that it's possible, but you may have to fiddle with it a bit in order to make it work. My personal preference is to build separate executable JARs for each architecture and platform (including Mac and Linux), since the build process is trivial and having separate JARs allows you to customize your classpath, native load library path, etc. for each combination.

On another note, I have posted a 32-bit executable jar file containing the prototype of my "Drawing Program for Blind Users" at the following URL. I expect to update it from time to time to add new features.

http://www.austincc.edu/baldwin/SWT-SVG/SVGDraw01.jar

I would appreciate hearing your comments and suggestions for improvement.

CvS: I'll be happy to take a look later and give you some feedback.