[brailleblaster] Re: Another off-topic request for SWT information

  • From: Michael Whapples <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 22:39:00 +0100

I can answer some of your questions.

As far as I know, SWT is platform specific and requires a different JAR file
for each platform. Therefore I think you will need a different version for each
platform (including 32-bit and 64-bit).

It is not technically impossible to have libraries for multiple platforms in
one JAR, look at JNA (Java Native Access, can be found on java.net), but SWT
have worked their loading of libraries a little differently and so I think
would make it hard to have more than one set of DLLs in a JAR file. I would
have thought if it were possible with SWT, why have they not made a single SWT
jar file instead of one for each platform. This is one of the disadvantages of
SWT.

If you did not want to restrict yourself to a single executable jar file, then
you could have a batch file which works out what system it is running on and
starts java with the classpath set to include the correct SWT jar file for that
system. This then would mean you could make a single distribution and so have a
single download for users.

Also another note, you may know this anyway. I understand the SWT jar file
depends on the architecture the JVM is for, not whether the system is 32-bit or
64-bit.

Michael Whapples