[bookshare-discuss] Re: the worst book ever

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 17:55:31 -0400

Hi all,

I felt that way about Hamlet until I saw a production of it here in Rochester a
couple of years ago.  The lead was played by a woman.  At first I was shocked,
but then, as I began to watch the old familiar story unfold, I got a whole new
slant on it.

Here's what I realized.  Hamlet is a sixteen-year-old kid.  His father's been
murdered, and his mom has married his uncle.  Now, if you think about this in
todays terms, Hamlet has issues.  Man does he have issues.  Not only this, but
in the beginning of the play, he sees a vision of his father stalking the
battlements of the castle.   His father's ghost tells him he's got to revenge
the murder, and the murderer is his uncle.  Now, I mean really, if any self
respecting teenager today went through this, he'd have issues big time, and he
would be made powerless.  Whatever decision he makes somebody's going to get
hurt, and it's all going to be his fault.  Not only that, he's got his father's
ghost breathing down his neck and he has to do what he promised to do, but he
can't.

I never realized how human, how truly tragic this play is until I saw Hamlet
portrayed as a teen with major emotional issues.  It was quite a revelation.

Ann P.

--
AAnn K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."  JRRT