[bookshare-discuss] Re: ot blind culture

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 11:31:18 -0400

Such behavior struck me as jealousy when I experienced it.

Those of us who travel well, have worked most of our lives and live independently experience such things occasionally from those who have poor mobility skills.

By the way, I have noticed non-computer literate blind people giving those of us who learn how to use computers the same kind of treatment.
Pretty sad. (disgusted feeling from me)

As for the Uncle Tom bit, I advocate for accessible pedestrian signals, housing equality and things I hope benefit all blind folks, not just us working stiffs.

It also happens to people who manage their money well, sighted or not. Some people with lots of debt somehow feel they have to be nasty to folks who pay their bills on time and are careful about spending. I am talking here about sighted folks as well as blind ones. I am speaking about being "careful" rather than about being "stingy" or "cheap".

I am talking about people who spend way too much on toys or such when they have not got the resources to do that. I understand that sometimes life deals someone a lot of bad cards so that a person goes into debt for medical reasons or other true emergencies. I am talking about a different kind of situation where somebody is lacking the ability to be economically responsibility or simply chooses not to be.

I love my toys and spend when I want them and have enough money to afford what I want.

If this sounds grouchy it is because I cannot convey tone through email. I mean what I say sincerely.

Spending wrecklessly is just plain sloppy and gets people in trouble. By the way, it also gets governments in trouble. But I will refrain from a political wrant.

Elizabeth (E.)

Elizabeth (E.)

At 08:34 AM 6/16/2008, you wrote:
Elizabeth,

You have some good points. There is a term that I think applies here among some people who are blind. It is internal oppression.

It normally means that people who don't have the values of the dominant culture are sneered by others in that culture. I think it also happens to people who take on values of the dominant, and others resent that. For the latter instance, I think of African-Americans being called by others of their race, Uncle Toms. To unsubscribe from this list, send a blank Email to bookshare-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the Subject line. To get a list of available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject line.

http://www.eset.com