[bookshare-discuss] Re: OT: Brian's teaching

  • From: "DIANNE B. PHELPS AND PRIMROSE" <d.bphelps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 13:14:20 -0700

ian,

That topic is actualy very interesting. A while back, I read some of the historical stuff on the NFB web site. I found it all interesting because these things took place when I was growing up in the 50's and 60's. I had not realized that I was among the first in our area to be mainstreamed for which I felt extremely fortunate. There were and still probably are draw-backs to anything we do, but I had good resource teacher assistance which taught me how to conduct my life as a person who is blind. I had partial vision, and my parents insisted I use my vision. So, I didn't pay the attention to my Braille studies as I should have, but fortunately, I had been taught where to go to acquire what I needed to finish learning Braille as a young adult when I lost my vision. I should do more reading on this subject as wel as the history of what brought all to this point in our lives is realy interesting.

Good luck with your work. I really admire you for really going for it with your education, something I had always intended doing, but became too busy with work and "survival". I still may look into furthering things, though it would be more for my own enjoyment at this point rather than for career furthering.

Dianne Phelps and
Guide Dog, Primrose
----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Miller" <brian-r-miller@xxxxxxxxx>