[bookshare-discuss] Re: Housekeeping Questions

  • From: "Amy Goldring Tajalli" <agoldringtajalli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 15:12:13 -0400

Debra,

I was having the same problem and then it got worse when I lost all of my files. I realized the only books I did not lose were ones I had on a back-up cd. Now, I have all of my Bookshare books, even the ones I validated or scanned when I had a scanner, on back-up cds leaving only the ones I am working on and the ones I am reading in my documents sub-divided by country or and further subdivided by author if more than one or two books by a given author. That is also how I divide and subdivide my books on my cds. I keep newly downloaded books in my documents and keep a running backup on a spare hard drive for that purpose and later catch up with the cds. The back up is set to add updates and not keep repeating whole back up or I would rapidly run out of room. It is a lot easier than worrying about losing files though it is fortunate that I can always re-download bookshare books . In my recent loss were some Microsoft Reader books as well as some Adobe ones and I don't remember which Microsoft I had but they are gone as are some of the Adobe (fortunately most of them were on the back up) but Amazon no longer sells ebooks and no longer keeps their footlocker. I don't remember what books I had except the dictionaries - I do remember them- but cannot re-download from a non-existant locker.

I learned my lesson. If I want it I back it up somewhere and I make sure that I can open the back-ups if they have to be "restored". They are not always easy to open. As long as you can get a good supply of cd-rw's you can have all the books you want without taking up too much hard disk space and all you have to do is put a cd in your cd drive and download any book you want - leaving the copy one the cd and the book you are reading or working on in your hard disk as well. I have even backed-up some of my basic programs as well as special ones (like Scrabble which got lost with the last failure so I have no intentiont of losing it again).

You can develope as large a library as you want in no space whatever with cds. they can hold upwards of 40 books on 1 cd depending upon the size of the books and cds.

Amy

----- Original Message ----- From: <zaria797@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>