[bookshare-discuss] Re: Fw: Your book has been marked for more editing

  • From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 07:00:30 -0700

Hi, Gwen, I understand where you're coming from and I've also talked to
submitters who are very careful with there files trying to make them the
best they can be. I don't know this for a fact, but I've heard of
proofreaders who'd check out a file and hardly do anything on it. I think a
proofreader should read the whole file and I mean from the first word to the
last, not a quick look and hardly do anything unless the scan is so good
they don't need to do hardly anything. Let me give you an example. I've
downloaded Penguin Complete Father Brown Stories by G. K. Chesterton. Now
mind you, it's marked as being of excellent quality, but I'll bet you either
that the file wasn't proofread at all or if so, it was just glanced through.
There were a lot of scanos in there. Now for me, I wouldn't want a file to
go up to Bookshare being hard to read. I want the text to be right. If I'm
reading a book, I don't want to have to be puzzled about what word I'm
reading. It's a point of principle for me to make sure the file is as good
as I can make it. I'm sure you want the same thing and you tried your utmost
to see that it was. I think submitters and proofreaders are serving the
readers because the ultimate goal is readable books either for work, study,
or pleasure. Regards, Kim Friedman.

  _____