[bookshare-discuss] Re: Anyone else having trouble downloading books from the collection?

  • From: David Goldfield <disciple1211@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2013 20:29:22 -0500

Lynda,
Thank you for this information as it is definitely very helpful. First, don't worry about looking bad to someone else just because you have questions. None of us crawled out of the womb with the knowledge that we have. I can remember when I got my first computer. I had a network of people that I was calling to ask questions and, fortunately, they were all extremely patient. This list is your network of people who are users of Bookshare and who will try and help if they can. It's a pleasure to pay it forward, as my wife often says. That's why this list is here. First, let me say that I'm not a Bookshare employee, just a user. Therefore, I can't guarantee that I'll be providing you with the best quality help. If this turns out to be the case then I'm sure someone else on this list will not hesitate to add comments or corrections to anything I might tell you. However, in addition to being a Bookshare member I'm an assistive technology instructor with over 20 years of support and teaching experience and so I think I'll be able to make at least a small contribution.
OK, your setup is pretty standard.  JAWS 7, Xp, IE 7 and an NLS player.
First, I'm going to assume that you're able to log into Bookshare. That is the most important step to all of this since you can't download most of their books if you're not actually logged in. So, when you go to bookshare.org make sure that the system actually knows who you are. With JAWS go to the top of the Web site with control home. press the letter H to go to the next heading on the page. If you're logged in you should hear your name with a heading title like "Lynda Jones's Taskbar" assuming that your name is Lynda Jones. If you don't hear this then you might not be logged in. From the top of the page press the letter E, which tells JAWS to go to the next edit box it sees. If you hear it say something like "email edit" then you're not logged in. If it says "enter title, author, etc." then you're likely logged in.
If JAWS says "email edit" press enter to go into forms mode.
Type in the email address you used when you signed up with Bookshare.
Next, press the tab key.
JAWS will ask you for your password.  Enter the password at this point.
Press tab again.  You'll hear "remember me, check box not checked."
Press the spacebar.
Press tab again.
You should hear something like "log in button."
Press enter and you're logged in.
To verify this go to the top of the page with ctrl-home and press H for next heading and Bookshare should verify that you are on your taskbar. Once you have established that you're logged in we need to have you download a book. there are several ways that you can use to locate books. However, to make things simple let's start by having you search for a book you want to read, either by typing in the book's title or author.
To do this, press the letter E to tell JAWS to look for the next edit box.
If it says "no next edit box" just go to the top of the page with control-home and press the letter E.
Once you hear it say edit press the enter key to go into forms mode.
Type a title or author and press enter.
You're now on the results page.
Press the letter H several times and, eventually, you'll hear "search results, what download format should I choose?"
Keep pressing the letter H until you hear a title you want to read.
Next, press the letter C to go to the combo box that allows you to choose which format you want.
Press enter to go into forms mode.
Since you're using an NLS digital player the format you want to choose is "daisy audio."
Arrow down until you hear "daisy audio."
Press tab and you should hear "download button."
Press enter.
At this point the book will not download. The Bookshare service needs to actually prepare the book for you. Because of this you'll be taken to a page known as your history. This page gives you a list of books that you've ordered previously. Press H for heading and, eventually, you'll be in a list of books with the book that you just ordered at the top of the list.
When you hear the book's title press down arrow.
After hearing the author's name you'll probably move to a message saying that the book you requested is being prepared. This process of preparing the book will take around ten to fifteen minutes, maybe less. At this point open your email program and wait for an email from Bookshare to arrive telling you that the book that you requested is ready for download. Once this email has arrived press alt-tab which should take you back to the history list on Bookshare. Next, press the f5 key. This tells Internet Explorer to refresh or reload the page you were viewing.
Once the page reloads press H until you are in the heading with the book.
Arrow down and you should now hear a link which says "available."
Press enter.
Internet Explorer should bring up a dialog asking for the title of the file you're about to download. It's very similar to the "save" dialog you might encounter when you save documents in a word processor such as Wordpad or Microsoft Word. You shouldn't actually have to enter a title as the title should already be written in the edit box. Just press enter. The book should now begin downloading. Depending on the speed of your connection and the size of the actual file this process could take a while: maybe ten minutes, maybe up to a half hour.
Once the file has been downloaded we need to locate it.
On Windows XP this should be in a folder called Downloads which is located inside the My Documents folder. To see if this is correct go to your desktop with the Windows key and the letter M
Press the letter M until you go to My Documents.
Press enter.
Next, press the letter D until you hear "downloads."
Press enter.
You should be in the folder where your book is located. As an example, if the book's title was "Romeo and Juliet" then your file should have a title with a name similar to "Romeo and Juliet Daisy audio.zip."
Let me know if the steps I've outlined so far are working for you.
If they are then I'll send you another message with the steps to extract and transfer the file to a thumb drive or cartridge so you can play it on your player.

Lynda wrote:
Hi David,

It's now February fifth and I just realized that I left this message in progress last night and I just wrote a reply to the list as if it was sent yesterday. Sorry for getting ahead of myself. Thank you for your interest in helping me read bookshare books. The information you requested follows:

I am using Jaws 7, Windows XP, Internet Explorer 7, on a Microtech computer and I will be using my NLS Digital Player for reading. I've been reading all of the messages but I felt as though I couldn't say anything because I didn't want to look bad in anyone's eyes. Well, finally, I took an old family saying to heart and decided that reading the books is something that I want bad enough that I no longer care about how I look in the learning process. So, as the "old folks say," "Nothing beats a failure but a try." Have a wonderful day and God bless you.

Yours in Reading,

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "David Goldfield" <disciple1211@xxxxxxxxxxx>