[bookshare-discuss] Re: AUDIBLE.COM

  • From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 13:44:01 -0500

I guess there's no "right answer" about what the best way to listen to
a book.  I find the Eloquence voice not annoying at all, even though
it does not sound very natural.  Actually, it's quite the reverse.
When people try to explain something to me, I find myself wishing I
could hit the speed-up keys!  In the end, it has to come down to
personal preference.  In my case, I'm just now losing my central
vision, at 46 years old, but I read normally my entire life.  I think
fast, but I could never read quickly, and I've found reading very
frustrating.  I've been creating my own audio books with TTS, and now
I can "read" about 3X faster.  I feel like I've been reading my whole
life in first gear, and now someone has pointed out that I have more
gears.  I've gone through more books in six months than I have in the
previous ten years.

Bill