[bookport_users] bookport 2

  • From: John Milton <jon_mi1ton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport_users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 20:22:14 -0800 (PST)

Hi everyone,

Let me state a couple of premises before I make my
wild opinions.

1.  APH announces BP2
2.  Availability of the Level Star player after
announcement
3.  Availability of the Victor Stream after
announcement
4.  Pamela said:  hardware problems with one of the
suppliers has put an unavoidable delay in the process.
 We now expect that Book Port II will not be available
in the near future.
5.  Rumors of Bookcourier II in progress, made by
Springer Design

Before the levelstar and victor stream came out, APH
and Springer have been working on BP2.  Now that these
players are out, perhaps APH was forced to evaluate
its competition.
What if their conclusion was this:  that the current
BP2 design will not be competitive enough in terms of
features with these other players.  So in the interest
of being competitive, APH requested Springer to change
the design.  Now what if the design was so far along
in development, that Springer is not willing to
swallow the cost of starting over?  Who is going to
front the changes to the design?
Let's assume that APH will fund the redesign.
Now here's a wild guess.  APH did not design the
original Bookport hardware in house and worked with
Springer to design it.  What if they can work with
another company for the redesign since they have to
fund it anyway?  I'm guessing that there is another
company that is willing to partner with APH.  This
could explain Pamela's statement.
Meanwhile, since Springer had been working on BP2, and
given that Bookport and Bookcourier are very similar,
I won't be surprised that the BP2 design could be
modified for a Bookcourier II.

Will there be a BP2?  My guess is that eventually,
there will be.  Given the support that APH provides
for its users, the support for the original Bookport
will be maintained.  I don't think APH will just
abandon it.
Also, I think it's not just the bookport that's
involved for the user.  A lot of folks use it and have
invested software, accessories, and books geared for
it.  To not have a path to continue this usage scheme
can be annoying.

In the meantime, Bookcourier II will probably come out
before BP2.  Anyway, a bit longwinded, but that's my 2
cents.

As for this list, ever since this list came online, I
have watched the bookport list.  I've noticed that
people still talk about off topic things, and someone
even started a thread about BP2 even though Pamela had
made her statement and asked that people don't talk
about BP2 anymore.

So I chalk it up to Pamela's opinion that "old habits
die hard".  It just seems to me that some users will
just post away and wait for the moderator to say stop.
 Unfortunately, this gets the ball rolling and other
users reply because they think that since one person
did it, then it's ok to join in.

Anyway, I hope that this list will be helpful in some
way.  Also, someone suggested on putting a faq on the
webpage.  What kind of faqs would be useful?  I'll
collect suggestions and create a faq section on the
webpage.  So suggest away!

-jon

with Yahoo Mobile. Try it now.