[bookport] new user frustrations

  • From: "Dory" <doryfish@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 08:10:06 -0700

Marion and I are sharing a book port. At this time, we are primarily interested in audible.com books. He activated the bp on his computer with no problem. He told me it would ask me for my user id and password. And maybe it did, but if so, I did not hear it. I tried several times to send a book, hoping I would get the activation menu. I did not. Finally, I contacted audible.com and they managed to get me activated. They also started the process of sending a book. I then sent the second part of the book.

Marion checked it out and started to play part 1 and it started to play. He stopped it. When we settled down and wanted to read the book, we heard something like appli. I will not bore you with all our trials and tribulations but to say when you are new to something, you suspect the worst. The book port did not function as we thought it should. Having gone through the thing about being in the wrong folder earlier, we tried pressing star+ zero.

We even tried changing batteries thinking that was what was wrong. We defaulted. We then got the original flash card and put it in and it played and functioned just fine. We switched back to the 512 card and were able to move to the book he had put on it and it played just fine.

I then decided that perhaps since I had repeatedly tried to send a book when not activated that somehow a code got in there so that the book would not play. This morning, I deleted the book from both the book port and from audible manager inbox. I downloaded the book from audible and transferred it to the book port and all is well.

I had read all I could find pertaining to audible.com in the manual and could find nothing about such a code getting put into books when the user is not yet activated.

Also, in our attempts to try to get the bp to function right, I had tried connecting and disconnectingthe the bp to and from the computer a few times. At one point I thought I heard a message "fs" warning. I searched the word warning in the manual and just saw the caution about removing a flash card while reading.

We have not yet had time to read the manual in its entirety but have tried to read sections that we are immediately concerned with.

If I am correct about a code getting inserted, I think this possibility should be mentioned in the manual. I honestly began to think the bp was defective. This process of trying to get that book to play was over an hour in length with a great deal of frustration.
Dory
doryfish@xxxxxxxxxxx