[bookport] New Beta, Bookshare, and moving backwards

  • From: "ptorpey" <ptorpey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 21:33:19 -0400

I downloaded the Aug. 21 edition of the New York Times from Bookshare.
I am reading this with the new betas (BP, BPFW, and BWR) on the
Bookport.
I noticed that most of the sections or article titles are repeated twice
in succession.  Thus, when one uses the 6+9 keys to move to the article
"Quotation of the Day", the next press of the 6+9 keys brings you to
another occurrence of "Quotation of the Day".  The contents of this
article begins after the second occurrence of the mark "quotation of the
Day".  .  There are two problems with this:

1.      One has to press 6+9 twice to move to the next article (in most,
but not all cases).  Thus, it takes twice as many clicks to move through
the newspaper.

2.      If one wants to navigate backwards as the Bookport is reading,
if the reading passes the first occurrence of the marking "quotation of
the Day", and then you hit the 4+7 keys to go back a section, you will
be brought to the first occurrence of the marking "quotation of the Day"
rather than the previous article.  Since the titles for the articles are
so short, they can quickly be passed if one has the Bookport reading
quickly and you'll never be able to move back to a previous article
unless you either:
        a.      Quickly hit the 4+7 keys twice, or
        b.      Stop the Bookport reading and use the 4+7 keys to move
backward.

Again, this is only an example.  There seem to be many articles where
the title is repeated twice and this issue occurs.  Perhaps the DAISY
markup from RFB&D is not correct?  Maybe you can work with RFB&D on this
as well as the mark-up for sections so that we can use the 1+4 and 3+6
keys to move by section as you are trying to implement.

As an aside but related issue, moving backward with either the 1, 4, or
7 keys while the Bookport is reading often has this issue even with
other formats (BRF, TXT, etc.), even if no titles/words are repeated.
This isn't only an issue with the new beta and DAISY material.  In some
BRF and TXT books, the only way I can move backward is to stop the
Bookport reading and magically pass over some "crack" by pressing the 1
key, and then start the Bookport riding again and try to move backward.
This happens for certain parts of ALL books/magazines (most often
downloaded from NLS web-braille or NLS magazines).  It would be great if
this issue could be fixed so that one could reliably move backward while
the Bookport is reading.

-- Pete

P.S.    Great that we can now move by article in this type of material!