[bookport] Feeling a bit sheepish

  • From: "Jerry Neufeld" <jerry.neufeld@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bookport" <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 22:28:24 -0400

Playing with hardware for as long as I have, I should have guessed, I should
have known. Cables. About cables. Well, some just break, some perform
intermittently, others are inappropriate. Recently, I have joined the group
of users of BookPort whose computers no longer recognize the device as of
the most recent version of the firmware. Only one of my six pc's saw the
BookPort as it should. As it turned out, that one machine had its own u s b
cable, I having used another for the remaining five, a cable that has worked
flawlessly since I bought it. Well, it don't perform no good no more, or, at
least, not with the BookPort. When I moved to another cable, this one said
to be appropriate for u s b2 devices, all computers saw the b p without
trouble. I must apologize to the a p h people for having added to their
headaches. I always change my cables, just in the wholly improbable event
that they are the cause of a problem.

Although I assume the BookPort to be a u s b1 device, the x p operating
system does not identify them as such with my computers, all equipped with
the new, faster u s b2 ports. Does anyone at a p h or on this list know if
the u s b 1 versus 2 can be at issue here? The cable that has proved faulty
became so only as of implementation of the newest firmware, a tad
coincidental in my view. Tomorrow, I will check the integrity of my
seemingly faulty cable with a known u s b1 device working from a u s b1
port.

Again, my apologies for having added to the headaches.

Regards to everyone,

Jerry