[bookcourier] Re: Battery Query

  • From: "Greg Epley" <gregepley@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookcourier@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 09:54:41 -0500

My case as well playing the MP3 files.  That must be a big determining
factor in how far one can sap the batteries.  Personally I despise listening
to that robotic Doubletalk thingy, because I didn't go blind until August
2000, and I started off with the Microsoft SAPI 4 Mary and still prefer it
to most voices.  I have tinkered around with the AT&T Natural Voices, but
even with a fast processor and lots of memory those are only good for
recording readings into MP3, not for screen reading.  I prefer either NLS,
commercially produced audio books - many of which I can get in unabridged,
or other books converted text to speech - all ending up in MP3 format.  It
does apparently reduce my battery usage, and of course the material takes up
more space on a card and takes longer to transfer irregardless of how one
does it, but in the end I'll trade all that for books where I can spend less
time trying to understand what the heck that Doubletalk thingy just read to
me vs. a more human sounding reader.
-Greg