[blindwoodworker] Re: Tough drilling

  • From: "Bob Kennedy" <intheshop@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindwoodworker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 03:07:59 -0400

I can think of a couple ways you can do this.  I would take an awl and get as
close as possible to the center of the stem.  Make a good sized mark with the
awl so you can find the mark with a drill bit.

You can try boring a hole in a piece of wood a bit smaller than the base of
each chess piece  so that the top of the chess piece will drop through the hole
and be stopped by the base not fitting through.

You may need to set the wood with the hole bored through on a couple of risers
so the top of the chess piece has no interference from touching the bench or
drill press table with the top.  Finally you can use a drill press or portable
drill to drill the stem out.

The other option would still involve boring a hole through a piece of wood so
it can serve to hold the chess piece.  With a hand saw, cut the stem off flush
with the base of the chess piece and sand or file the base so the piece sits
flat.  Now you can drill a hole for a larger stem.  Finding the center won't be
quite as hard going this way, just don't scribe a line so deep you can't remove
it afterwards.  I would mark for center, drill the hole and then sand away the
marks before gluing up the new stem piece.