[blindeudora] Re: random crashing

  • From: Dennis McLeod <dmcleod@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindeudora@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 08:35:24 -0500

At 2005/03/10 00:47 N & G. wrote:
>Hi,
>I have
>1.      40 gig 7200 hd partitioned in to three not equil partitions.
>
>2.      a seperate 40 gig removable used for storage.
>
>3.      512 meg ram.

Why don't you do another installation of the current version you are running
(the newest) in a new program directory and a new data directory so that the
existing version with all your mail boxes and filters and address book remain
exactly as they are so you can get to the information in them after you figure
out where the trouble is. Make sure you place an Icon, named so the new version
on your desktop can be accessed with no mistake.

You will have to set up your Eudora settings new but once done you should have
no more problems caused by Eudora. You may even want to turn of you virus
scanner program for that new version and let the virus scanner pick up the
virus when the file is written to the HDD.

Once your up and running again then transfer stuff back into the new version
one at a time over time so that you know which is causing you trouble. Or if
you don't have a ot of important information there just carry on in the new
one.
    * the old address book(s) if you didn't just make a new one up with your
contacts.
    * The existing old mailboxes .mbx files back into the new version of Eudora
one at a time so you can tell if one of them is the culprit. Since you should
be keeping your mail in non system mailboxes I would not transfer the In, Out,
Trash, or Junk MBX's as they should be empty when you start a session anyways.
Make sure the old mailboxes are compacted before you move them to the new
version. You can do this by running the old version and compacting them
normally and then closing down and moving them.
    * Unless you have a lot of filters I would just start over again.
You can find the direction in detail at
http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/kb/1602hq.html to follow.

Dennis

List web page: //www.freelists.org/webpage/blindeudora