[blindeudora] Re: Eudora 6 and Jaws 10 much faster?

  • From: Curtis Delzer <curtis@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindeudora@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 11:25:23 -0500

Well since you can get Eudora 7.1.0.9 for free I'd update, and the newest version of jfw11 is better than earlier versions for sure. I use Eudora in a different way than most blind folks, which raises havoc with Window-Eyes so don't use that screen reader with it; specifically, I have several mailboxes all open at once, and when any new message comes in, the order of the windows change since I have Eudora automatically open a new mailbox when any filter puts a message into it, and the newest is always a control-tab away from where I am reading. This is a new message, but I can read Chris' message either by down arrowing in this one, or control-tab to the next window to my left since nothing new has come in while I am typing this message. Jfw handles all these windows splendidly, even naming the mailboxes as I control-tab to them, telling me in that way which mailboxes have the newest messages from where I am sitting. It is a unique way to run Eudora, especially since JFW is the only screen reader which can handle Eudora in this configuration, and I've become spoiled since I like to hear what is new. Now, as I say, sorry Chris for going off into my own way of handling Eudora, but I've found that jfw 10 works best with it, even a tiny bit better than jfw11 though the newest build of 11 seems to work like jfw10 though I cannot get Dec_Access32 to work with 11 even in XP home which I am using.

JFW10 seems better with auto-reading the next message than the first few builds of 11, and if you use the Eudora window for displaying the message, if you stop on a url it automatically openS your web browser to display the web page that url points too, not good though it can be avoided, if you're careful and don't want to use the MS viewer to read your mail. If you use the MS viewer for your mail, it is a tiny bit slower but you won't also get skipped lines which does happen with jfw10 occasionally in the Eudora viewer. :) I have jfw auto read any message and Eudora auto-open the next message when I delete the one I am reading, makes for very fast reading and I can get through a lot of mail in a short time.

Well, you thought all the wind is in Kansas? :) North Dakota, from me, is windy today, sorry. :)

Curtis Delzer.
HS.

on Wednesday 5/26/2010 11:35 AM, Chris Smart said:
I'm still using Eudora 6 on an older XP system.

Does anybody else find it much snappier with Jaws 10 compared to Jaws 11? In fact, I even leave Jaws 10 on the system exclusively for going through my daily email.

I usually just open the first message, arrow down the first couple lines to determine the contents, and if I don't want to read it, I hit delete and the next message pops open. With Jaws 10 there is almost no delay when I issue the delete command and can start exploring the next message. With Jaws 11 it seems to take a lot longer to settle down, examine the screen or whatever it's doing.

Anybody else notice this? Am I likely to notice any performance improvements if I upgrade to Eudora 7?

thanks
Chris

List web page: //www.freelists.org/webpage/blindeudora

Currently in Fessenden, North Dakota Clear, 73°F Wind:ESE-110° at 13mph
The great thing about living in a small town is when you don't know what you're doing, someone else does.

Curtis Delzer
W B 6 H E F

List web page: //www.freelists.org/webpage/blindeudora