Podcasts for word lovers

  • From: Lynn Schneider <lschneider9@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcasting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 02:26:18 -0500

Do you often find yourself perplexed by the intricacies of the English language? Are you interested in kicking up your vocabulary level while kicking up the speed on your exercise bike? Are you the type of person who wonders about things like the origins of commonly used words and phrases? If you answered yes to any or all of the above questions, you might be interested in the following four podcasts, complete with the feed URL to put into your pod-catching client.

A Way with Words
http://kpbs.org/words/podcast
This is a public radio feed from KPBS, and is one of my favorite podcasts. It is an entertaining and informative examination of word origins and modern trends in the English language. Listeners can call in with questions, and there is also a word quiz.

podictionary
In this podcast, you will be presented with words and their origins to help improve your vocabulary. Some of the words are common, and some may be unfamiliar. You can subscribe to the daily Podictionary feed at:
http://www.podictionary.com/rss
or the weekly feed, which is a compilation of all the daily feeds for the week at
http://www.podictionary.com/weekly/rss

Just Vocabulary's Podcast
http://feeds.feedburner.com/JustVocabulary
This podcast was started by someone who speaks English as a second language, but in my opinion, it is a good choice for anyone wishing to broaden their vocabulary horizons.

The Word Nerds
http://thewordnerds.libsyn.com/rss
This podcast discusses language trends and history.

Until next post, happy vocabulary-building!