[bksvol-discuss] Re: wanting to volunteer

  • From: Mayrie ReNae <mrenae@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 03:47:18 -0800

Hi Cindy,

I think the form to become a volunteer is different for folks who don't qualify to be bookshare users. That's why you and Jamie had to jump through hoops to volunteer. And we are all hugely appreciative that you did jump through those hoops.

Peace,
Mayrie

At 09:59 PM 1/29/2008, you wrote:
Wow!! Either the form has changed since I singed up or
there are different forms for members and nonmembers.
Jamie, was the form you filled out like that? I think
I had to answer questions about my background, i.e.,
what in it would qualify me, and write a paragraph
explaining why I wanted to volunteer. There were other
questions I don't remember.

G.Cindy

--- Estelnalissi <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear Jackie, Shannon and Booksharian Friends,
>
> Jackie, from curiosity I read the form you
> reproduced for Shannon. What a
> blast from the past and a reminder of how much my
> life and computer skills
> have changed since I started volunteering.
>
> When I applied this is how I filled out the form.
>
> What kind of  assistance application do you use.
> JAWS. That's all.
>
> Do you have scanned books? No!
>
> Do you have access to a scanner? No!
>
>  Do you know how to Unzip compressed files? No!
>
> Do you know how to convert text files into other
> formats using a word
> processor like Word? No !
>
> I'm surprised Bookshare didn't write advising me to
> attend remedial computer
> classes, and apply again in 5 or 10 years!
>
> I so appreciate Bookshare for letting me go for it,
> and the people who were
> on this list back then and now who answered and keep
> answering, my
> questions. The friends I've made through Bookshare
> and the books I validate
> and scan truly rock my world.
>
> Always with love,
>
> Lissi
>
> Today the answers to these questions is Yes.

WISH LIST (called Requested Additions To The Bookshare Collection)is available at
http://www.friendsofbookshare.org/