[bksvol-discuss] Re: volunteering

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <geraldhovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 23:41:21 -0500

AlyceAnn,

Many of your questions will be answered when Bookshare gets you registered
as a volunteer.  At that time you'll receive some validation instructions
which will answer many of your questions, but also cause you to have more.
If you don't hear back from Bookshare soon, then try contacting them at
volunteer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Answer 1: Go to Bookshare's website and log in.  This will allow you to see
the list of books in Bookshare's entire collection unless you're under 18 or
have checked the box that you don't want to download books rated Adult.
From there you can click on either the Browse Books link or Advanced Search
link to browse through the collection.  If you're not already a member, then
you can still click on these links and browse the collection, but it won't
show you the titles of any books rated Adult.  There are also several lists
which can help you determine if a book is in processing.  You'll need to be
a volunteer before you can have access to the first one, though, so get
signed up then ask again.

Answer 2:  Bookshare can accept several different file formats, but the one
preferred by volunteers is RTF since more volunteers can access that format,
and therefore there are not only more books that they can validate but there
are more volunteers available to validate their submissions.

Answer 3:  The copyright should be on the copyright page which is normally
found on the back of the title page.  Your books will need these pages if
they are to be accepted.  They will also need page breaks as well.

HTH

Gerald