[bksvol-discuss] using machines for what they were meant to do

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 12:17:26 -0400

This is a rather long message. I am going to speak about hardware and software as it relates to bookshare books. I may wax a bit philosohical. The underlying path is a matter of philosophy.

Bookshare is adding many many books to our library at a ever more rapid rate. Bookshare could get away with inferior tools like the stripper in its younger days. Kind of like a teenager driving an old car that breaks down a lot.

As bookshare has matured, the quality of some of its underlying software has come up for criticism. That includes the stripper, braille translation program, and other conversion tools. I want to use my human brain to do things machines cannot do. A properly configured hardware and software conbination will translate correctly, and strip elegantly. (pause for fantasy please)

Returning from fantasy to reality. I know the up front expense may be high. I know calculators now do what we used to write out by hand. Let's all work together so humans can do what they do best and let's use technology as well as we can in the process.

Relying on "brute force" human methods is so expense in terms of human energy.

I am truly concerned about the learning curve. Maybe if I know more from engineering, it will be easier to understand the underlying philosophy of what seems to me "brute force" methods. I know I can grind coffee beans by hand and save electricity but do I want to?

E.

At 07:39 AM 9/10/2008, you wrote:
You are probably right E, but, given our experiences with the bookshare tool, do we really want to go down that road?

Maybe if the daisy converter could put the codes in, and we could double check to make sure they are right.

Bob